Turboing 22R?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by SMP142, Dec 10, 2007.

1. SMP142

SMP142 Newbie

Truck:
    '82 SR5
    i was wondering if there is anyone out there who has turboed their carburated 22r? i got an 82 SR5 a few months back as a DD, and i have a Garrett off my old car sittin around that i wanna throw on it. will the exhaust mani off the RET fit on it? i am still pretty new to these motors. i wasnt sure if they have the same heads or not. im not going for any big hp, but i already have the stuff so i thought i might try it out. thanks- Brian

2. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    its possible, I have seen kits for it on ebay. I would personally never turbo anything without efi.

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the stock ret stuff will bolt on no prob. the only real hiccup is going to be the oil passages for the turbo, the 22r block doesnt have the correct holes drilled out so you'll have to drill em yourself. which means a complete tear down or you'll be driving with metal shavings in your oil.

unfortunately there is no way to use the stock carb, it would never seal well enuff to hold boost in a "blow through" set up. i think you would be better off switching to efi and using the 22ret ecu or setting up mega squirt.

4. SMP142

SMP142 Newbie

Truck:
    '82 SR5
    thanks for the responses guys. well since its gonna be a PITA i prob wont do it. i do have a 7m and parts though. might look more into that route. a guy not too far away put a 1JZ in his. its sweet!

5. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    Don't see converting to efi with a turbo anymore of a PITA then the 7m or especially the 1jz swap...

You just have to decide which route you want to take and each one will have it's advantages and disadvantages... plus hassles and expenses

I am now running a 4wd turbo (factory 22rte) and love it... just under stock 6lbs of boost it is alot more fun than a carb or efi truck...

a 22r done turbo'ed properly needs turbo pistons (lower compression) an efi with a stand alone fuel management and a aftermarket/custom (one on ebay right now) garret turbo exhaust manifold you would also have to run oil and water lines for the turbo...
    you could use a stand alone stock efi computer setup but it wouldn't handle much boost so why bother

or go the full swap to a 7m or 1jz
    the 1jz/2jz is the better one and more expensive the 7m swap is cheaper but not as much HP

IMHO the 22r turbo is less hassles... the cost overall should be about the same for all three "upgrades" So the trade is more difficult equals more horsepower in HP order 22r, 7m those two are close in potential output then the 1jz and the sick end is the 2jz

Good Luck whichever you chose

6. SMP142

SMP142 Newbie

Truck:
    '82 SR5
    yeah this thing is a DD so i am not lookin for a mean machine. i already have a supra and a SC300 that i am swappin a built 2jz into right now. if i do anything it will probs be the 7m b/c of low cost and availability. for the amount of torque it has, it would go nicely on the light weight pickup. but thanks again for the responses..

7. fourwd1

fourwd1 Member

Truck:
    84 4Runner rock crawler

No, the RET intake and exhaust manifolds will not bolt up to your 82's head.
    The late 84 and up 22R/RE/RET block and head are different from the earlier ones, and aren't interchangeable. Exhaust ports are different, etc.