truck wont idle

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by BeamsHilux, Aug 5, 2014.

1. BeamsHilux

BeamsHilux Member

Truck:
    71 Hilux
    So my 80 pickup is doin something weird. Its been running strong for a few days now after the rebuild. Replaced plugs wires coil and the master/slave for the clutch over the weekend and its been running like a champ. But when I get on the freeway and start hammering the throttle it all of a sudden will start sputtering. It clears up when I stomp the gas but when I just try to maintain speed it sputters. Once I come to a stop it dies. Starts right up again but wont idle and the take off is really rough. Seems like it does it once it comes up to temp and after hammering the throttle. Ill sit there and have the rpms at about 2k then after about 5 minutes itll clear up and run/idle just fine. Any ideas would be great. It has the stock Aisan carb on it. Im figuring its a carb issue. Thanks

2. 78_LongBed

78_LongBed Newbie

Truck:
    78 SR5 Long Bed
    the carbs probably original and needs a rebuild. had a similar problem on mine, and once it warmed up and got out of the cold start circuit, one of the needle valves would stick open and id have one jet raining into the carb. managed to adjust it to kinda stay alive at idle, but weber 32/36 is coming soon

3. 78_LongBed

78_LongBed Newbie

Truck:
    78 SR5 Long Bed
    once it warms up and starts having problems, take the air cleaner off and look down into the carb to see if you got a stuck needle

4. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Long Bed 5sp
    Hey i am having the same exact problem.. did you figure out the fix. I am currently trouble shooting my problem but any fixes would be helpful in determining my problem

THX

5. convertedable

convertedable Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Hilux
    My truck was boiling the fuel in the carb. It would cut up and sometimes die out all together. One day while giving me problems I happen to look down into the fuel bowl, it looked like a can of just opened sprite. I fixed it by making an insulating spacer between the carb and intake. Made it out of wood. Have not had any trouble sense and have been running this for almost a year now and drive it every day