Truck Bogging/turning off after warmup....

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by l2ewind, May 1, 2018.

1. l2ewind

l2ewind Member

Truck:
    1977 Hilux
    77 pickup, stock setup, starting shutting off while driving. Normal routine is for me to start/warm up for about 5-6 minutes. Truck runs and idles fine for about 10-12 minutes, than start feeling some misfires, hesitation, start loosing power, ultimately resulting in engine shutoff. I had replaced all the vacuum lines about a month ago, and truck had been running fine. I rechecked to make sure all of them were firmly connected, and are good. Went ahead and replaced ignition coil, rotor, spark plugs, and cables and still have this problem. any insight on were to look next would be a great help. Thanks in advance JC.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Sounds like a fuel/carb issue. Is the 20R still in it?

l2ewind likes this.
  3. l2ewind

l2ewind Member

Truck:
    1977 Hilux
    Yup 20R is still in it. I've been wanting to convert to a Weber..I guess now would be the time to do it. Any suggestions or advice before I start on the convert?

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Sounds like the fuel cut solenoid issue I lost so much hair over, lol

When it's running like crap, if u can keep it running with the hood popped, so u can mess around with it, I'd start by spraying carb cleaner into the carb to see if it's rich/lean.

If it picks up/clears up with a little spritzing of carb cleaner, you can spray around for vacuum leaks until you get a similar result to directly spraying over the carb...if you cant find anything, let us know.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    l2ewind likes this.
  5. l2ewind

l2ewind Member

Truck:
    1977 Hilux
    Ill give it a go this weekend...wont have time until Sunday. Is the fuel cut solenoid part of the carburetor? I tried looking it up on rockauto with no results.

6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    My fuel cut solenoid was fine...I was losing power or ground to it while running, causing bogging, hesitation and absolutely no idle unless i kept my foot on the gas while braking.

Fastest way to check it is to use an extra piece of wire from your battery to the wires of the solenoid while it is running like crap.

If you have the aisin carb that looks like this one: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Wg4AAOSwu4BVz2Ni/s-l300.jpg

You could probably just unplug the green plug, identify which wires are positive and negative, then supply both from your battery or one at a time (if you keep it plugged into the harness and tap into the wires).

In a nutshell, I've had the same issue with 2 different 22r's/ two separate trucks. One was losing ground, the other was losing power and it was an issue with the harness, not the solenoid.

Practically threw every replacement part and went through every system on the first engine before finding the real problem, smh.

l2ewind likes this.
  7. l2ewind

l2ewind Member

Truck:
    1977 Hilux
    Much thanks YoguyDA and jetas for the help and insight!

8. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    No problem...

I didn't really want to get into the fuel cut solenoid thing, because you're not at that point of diagnosing your issue AND I feel like I've explained it a few times on this forum and no one ever reports back, so I feel like I'm the only one who's ever had that issue. On 2 completely different trucks at that!

Always start simple.

9. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I'm not familiar with the early aisin carb, but another common thing to check is the AAP valve on the carb.

Locate it and check the vacuum line to see if it's leaking fuel into the system (rich condition).

10. BeardNomad

BeardNomad Newbie

I have had all the issues on this thread and have always found a good carb cleaning and tuning it fixes the issue at hand. A lot of people seem to hate running stock carbs but if you get to know your truck and carb in particular I'm sure you'll find you can get it running straight.

Hands_On_Henry likes this.