transmission seal direction

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by KingBouyah, Dec 24, 2016.

1. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

So i'm replacing input shaft and output shaft seals on a 92 w55 transmission, the two seals look to be of similar design, just different sizes. They have a flat side and a cupped side. The way the old ones were in there seemed odd to me. The input shaft seal had the cupped side out. The output shaft seal had the flat side out. I was told that i needed to replace both, but there didn't seem to be any leakage from the input shaft seal. Maybe i should have just left it, but i already bought the seals, so might as well, right. Does anyone know if one of my seals was backwards?

2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Seals can really go in one way. The flat face of the seal faces out. This allows you to use a seal driver to set it in place. The concave or hollow side of the seal goes in.

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
  4. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Thanks, guys. Now that i have been overthinking it, i realized that because the input shaft seal is in the bearing retainer, i was looking at it from the inside, so both were correct. I got both seals installed today, fpig replaced, transmission mounted. I also did the pinion seal in the differential, but i didn't realize the pinion nut was not reusable and the dealership was closed today. Tomorrow i'll have to grab a nut, remount the drive shaft and fill both with gear oil and then i'm good.