transmission leak???

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by elow679, Feb 1, 2011.

1. elow679

elow679 Newbie

86 4x4 22r(carb) 5spd...

I have a leak on the pass side of my trans at the boot where it appears the shift linkage goes into the bell housing. The boot will not stay inside where it supposed to be and it's leaking from that area. Is this an easy fix? Can I just replace that boot ? And if I can just replace it, anyone know the name of that paticular boot? Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thx.

2. Nook

Nook Addict

OK, theres no shift linkage that goes into the bellhousing on the passenger side, you do have the clutch fork or throwout bearing arm, same thing, different name that goes in the side of the bellhousing with the dust cover boot, the boot gets swollen from time and oil, grease, ect. and won't stay in place, easy to replace. If you have a leak it could possibly be front seal on tranny leaking throwing gear oil around, rear main seal on engine doing the same thing, the leak will usually drip out the bottom though, and the clutch will soon let you know when it starts slipping, other culprits could be valve cover gasket, rear half moon seal on valve cover gasket, or egr bolt leaking oil, and its running down the back of the engine.

3. elow679

elow679 Newbie

Thanks Nook...I will check for the poss. leaks you mentioned. I have two questions. What does the egr bolt look like, and more specifically where is it located? Any further assistance is greatly appreciated.