Tranny swap all by myself - Help! :)

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by toy_boy, Jan 14, 2010.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    For anyone who has performed their own transmission swap...

This is going to be my first time ever swapping out a transmission.

I'd like to replace the 5-speed my 77' SR5 came with for a W58 I snatched up from the yards, in hopes that TALL 5th gear in the w58 will be better suited for really long drives (600+ miles).

My question:

Can I just pull my transmission off, not mess with the clutch or flywheel (both replaced / resurfaced 6 months ago), maybe just use a new throwout bearing and slave, and literally slide this w58 in....bolt it up....adjust the mount....put the drive shaft back on, and GO???

I know clutches need to be lined up correctly and whatnot, but hoping if I don't mess with it to begin with, I might not have to worry about it...???

I've got a transmission jack, and am assuming I'll be able to do this pretty much all by myself. I've taken a number of them down in the yards on my own, so I'm hoping it's pretty much "reverse engineering". Right??? :)

Thanks in advance for all helpful feedback.

2. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Hey man wish i could halp but im not very famaliar with the older trany's :shrug:

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    depending what the new one is from the hole for the shifter may or may not line up to where yours is. the length should be the same but the mount will need to be modified. look up 77yoters topic on it. he has a pic of what he had to do. i would measure overall length and shifter location vs the two and see about that first. you may have to cut the hole further forward.

4. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I'm concerned with the mechanical part right now.

If I can just pull my current 5-speed out and slide the new w58 in, without messing with existing clutch...?

Prepared to cut a new hole for the shifter if necessary. This tranny came out of an 82' Cressida (rare 5speed on this car) w/ 165k on the odometer. It looked like it was in a right-front-passenger side accident. I did have to pull the bell housing off an early 80's Celica (5M) w58 tranny, that had 400+ on the odometer, that way I could mate it to my 20R.

Anyhow, if anyone knows the answer to my question (clutch), would greatly appreciate it.

5. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    it will slide right into the clutch my clutch kit is for a mid 80s 4x4 and the tranny i have is out of like a 92 or something like that the only thing i dont like about the w58 is first gear is pretty much useless but i have 410s in the rear so that might be part of my problem

6. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    yeah. and if you used a 5M bellhousing that wont bolt up to your engine. but the input shaft splines will fit just fine.