Tranny noise

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Hey old man, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Hey old man

Hey old man Newbie

Truck:
    1978 one ton flatbed
    I have a 78 flatbed with a 4 speed.I can't hear it but my daughter says its buzzzes and it drives her crazy. So being a good Dad I looked into it... I removed the shifter by taking off the 2 14 mm bolts that held it to the tranny. So going down from the gear shift knob there is a ball joint sort of thing. That seems solid, should I just oil it good ? then down to the end that goes into different ball joint thing.This is just metal to metal. I'm guessing there is a rubber grommet that should be in there. That metal to metal is probably wher the buzzin is coming from. So chase down the replacement part or improvise ?? I can think of lots of sealers,calking that could fit the bill. So any ideas ??? Thank you Todd

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Replace all the nylon places that should be in there,that is what wears out!
    Go to the dealer & have them pull up the diagram of that area of the trans!Print it out & keep!:cool:

3. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Make you sure your tranny and diff fluid are full

4. Hey old man

Hey old man Newbie

Truck:
    1978 one ton flatbed
    Will do,But in the mean time is there any place on line to see a blow up of the shifting linkage? I was hoping to have it wraped up by Monday,but alas maybe not. I do need to check the fluid too.It seems to have a leak from the tail end of the tranny...I call it the domino theory ..you start on one project and bang your on to the next and on n on n on !!! But I love it and am thankful I can do the work myself... Thanks for the info ....

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014