toyota 20R or nissan KA24DE?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jackash002, Feb 11, 2011.

?

Toyota 20R or Nissan KA24DE

Poll closed Mar 13, 2011.
  1. Toyota 20R simple, header, weber

71.4%
  2. Nissan KA24DE simplified, header, EFI

28.6%
  1. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    SO... i have a drivetrain choice dilema.

i have a 20R that will be super clean painted up with only a GM alternator fresh head, 32/36 weber, header and an auto or 4 speed(leaning towards auto to be able to make interior and engine bay as simple as possible and for tire clearance in engine bay

BUT i also have an "extra", fresh KA24DE from a 240sx parts car i had, and looks like i have an option to get an auto for it for cheap enough(for same reasons to go auto as with 20R ,waiting for response from seller) fuel injection, more power, more aftermarket/parts availability, and will be using 240 rear end regaurdless of engine/trans, and this might make it easier by using factory driveshaft. i thought it wouldn't be as clean/simple of an engine bay because of FI stuff, but saw this pic and realized the cosmetic potential..
    :cool:
    http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h124/Ichigo240sx/blackka.jpg

i guess this would be like putting a ford in chevy or vice versa! ha ha, i like toyota, have a toyota trailblazer with 22R, just a choice of opportunity

extra information not related to the truck but related to decision..
    i have an extra cab/frame 4x4 axles, trans/transfer case waiting for a toy motor.....to be a truggy..

but also have my 240sx vert with a less fresh engine, 5 speed, etc. that the KA is a back up engine for.. or for a later build.

thanks for any feedback, opinions, technical issues, whatever you wanna say.. im lost on what to do.. both could be sweet

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    where are you located ??? im in tampa

3. Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 xtra cab
    If the ka swap is relatively easy, I say go for it. Is it an obd1 or obd2 ka? I had the obd2 ka in my 98 altima. I port n polished the head, BC stage 2 racing cams, BC dual valve springs and titanium retainers, Arp head and main bolts, arp rod studs, cold air intake, obx 4-2-1 header, high flow exhaust, and obx cat back exhaust... That car screamed! I say do it! Dare to be different!

4. TRfknD

TRfknD Veteran

Truck:
    96 Taco / 05 Tundra
    Yup, if you think you can do the ka swap with ease go for it. More power!!!

5. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    I raced a KA24 nissan pickup ( a newish one), and he beat me.

Do it. Turbo it down the line and have a fun little romper.

6. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1982 2wd p/u, 1983 toyota trailblazer, 1982 toyota truggy (next, just a cab/frame now)
    looks like KA

Should be easy enough. I was gonna have to fab up trans crossmember and move motor mounts anyways with 20R.. i have everything but ECU/transmission, or close. It's an OBD1. Even has digital dash and HUD but that's going in the vert.

Only thing that kinda sucks is that I have the 20R stripped down to only the block and head together about to paint and i'll have a show truck engine in a truggy.. :waytogo: lol. Oh well.. definitely won't see any other yotas around here with a detailed engine bay in truggy, buggy, bogger.

now i just need to work a deal on this transmission.. guy wants 200 for an auto!! i was thinking 50-100... trying to barter off some money for painting something or trading some stuff.

auto, bench seat, less clearance issues for tires, maybe more wiring work.
    5 speed ,buckets, possible clearance issues, potentially easier wiring.

thanks, Ben
    Jacksonville FL

7. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    just saw 75 views and only 6 people hit the polls..... slackers. ha ha, just click on it. so easy! Do it

8. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    painted all the paintable parts of the 22r and all but the oil pan and oil pump of the 20r so i will have pics up soon of the parts and or the 22r put back together to get an idea of what that will look like to compare with the datsun with KA photo i linked..

9. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    to get an idea pictures

alright. here are some pics of what the 20R would kinda look like.. i placed the timing cover, oil pump, valve cover and the weber/weber manifold on the 22r that is down for a timing chain and getting the same dressings..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yes im going to paint the chrome filter housing on the bottom too.. this is all just temporarily thrown on there for pics.. no gaskets.. or even timing chain underneath cover.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this is the 20R manifold.. it was easier to slap on the 22r stuff since i had a temp. valve cover on the 20R and the 22r bolts were labeled and easier to find

[​IMG]
    sweetest toyota oil pump ever! ha ha

[​IMG]
    embossed toyoda logo sanded b4 paint

10. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    potential KA for reference.
    [​IMG]
    realized how i could post it rather then linking.. not my photo, borrowed from another person sampling it on a 240 site

and some of the other crap that was painted.. the block on the 22r sample motor i showed was all dusty(looks kinda dirty/bad in pics.) and im not happy with the finish on the valve covers/intake cover so they need to be re-shot at work instead of the garage. not shown is oil pan that was going to be a metal look finish, but got lazy and gloss blacked it for the 22R, same with oil pump.
    [​IMG]

11. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    well, initially it was nissan, now the tables have turned to the 20r... what about auto vs. manual.. i've gotta check out some of these LOW builds to see how bad the clearance really is behind the drivers wheel well.

12. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    20/22r hybrid.

13. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    im a nissan guy and id rather have a Rxx series.

14. jackash002

jackash002 Enthusiast

Truck:
    i thought about the 20/22r hybrid, but then im down another motor..the line up right now

83 toyota trailblazer= 22R+4x4
    82 toyota 2wd p/u= 20R+auto or 4 speed
    83 toyota truggy= need toy motor for 4x4 running gear
    (keeps KA24DE for backup to 240sx)
    or

83 toyota trailblazer=22R+4x4
    82 toyota 2wd p/u= KA24de+need trans(cheap) swap of opportunity(fresh extra motor)
    83 toyota truggy= 20R+4x4

or

83 toyota trailblazer = 22/20R hybrid+4x4
    82 toyota 2wd p/u= KA24DE+ need trans(or another engine/trans)
    83 toyota truggy= need motor for 4x4 running gear

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  15. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    I mean the ka is a strong engine, I just dont care for it. Use what you can use.

16. Nineteen86

Nineteen86 Member

Truck:
    86 xcab
    Have these projects been finished or does anyone know anything?

Josh likes this.