Tough day and now decision time seeking advice

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by MercuryMan, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 74Hiluxproject

74Hiluxproject Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Supra Truck
    haha NorthWestArkansas makes more sense, but tahts funny there is one in washington :(

Thought he was bein tricky with North WA ( Washington ) lol NWA

2. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Wow that's a great price on the motor and tranny. White Trash is correct I am in Northwest Arkansas, home of Walmart, Tyson Foods, The UofA Razorbacks etc, and unfortunately also the land of we don't have too many Toyota's or used parts in general :-(. It seems like all the great mod shops, machine shops, and parts are West Coast. Curiously I am seriously considering moving to Vancouver to complete my education-now I have yet another reason to go.

I did find this locally. Going to see if the guy will let me test drive and do a compression test on it. My '74 still looks way better cosmetically so I would probably either part out or resell the '83 sans motor and tranny.
    '83 Toyota Truck

Thanks for the info 74Hilux, and Burnzya. Dilinja666 was your '73 a long box? Mine is and I was wondering if that would make a difference with the w50 since it's a unique drive shaft.

That T crossmember is nice an clean looking! Is that the original that has been modded?

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    If you are going to love this direction I'd d keep the first gen and part out the 73. Keep the rear axle and dump the rest. I've got nice doors, s brand new windshield, a couple nice tailgates and I'm pretty sure I've got the markers lights for it too. :D

4. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    So I found a 22R and 5speed in a 1981 2wd. It is seriously beat up with a flat bed, but the owner tells me the motor and tranny are in great shape and he's ok with me doing a compression test prior to buying-and the price is right, $700.

If I get this truck I am obviously not keeping it but using it's good motor and tranny to fix my '74 unless someone can convince me why I would keep a beat up, rusty '81 over a decent '74.

If I do this what exactly do I need to do to make the 22R and 5-speed fit the '74. Just a sentence or two of plain language explaining the process (from someone who has done this) please. I really do want to take the advice given about swapping but honestly since I haven't been given a complete answer about how to go about this and I do know how to replace an existing motor I am leaning towards just buying a used 18RC-and although I appreciate the offer to discuss this personally I need more info to make this decision then I can proceed-and so far I don't have enough information to know if I want to go with the swap. Also for future owners it would be nice to have a more detailed explanation about how one goes about swapping the 18's for the 20's.

Is this something I can do w/o welding??? Is it reallyfairly simple? By having the 1981 do I have the transmission crossmember I would need or would I still need to modify mine?? Could I just keep the 4-speed and bolt up the 22R with the new E mounts? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
    dramg80 likes this.
  5. Eduardo

Eduardo Newbie

What did you end up doing?