To smog or not to smog? Looking for smog-tuning tips.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Barnacles, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    I'm at an impasse with the tired, stock carb on my 1976 20R. The carb leaks and my truck runs rather poorly (skipping, misfires, backfires sometimes, sometimes won't idle, my wife can't drive it, super weak on HP, all despite replacing nearly all of the ignition system lately, etc.).

I don't see any use in rebuilding such a tired old piece of metal when for a few bucks more I can get a Weber. I also think I may be moving to a metro area (PDX or Seattle) in the next few years and don't want to have to give up my truck because of somewhat crazy smog requirements there. So here are some brainstorming questions that I hope some of you experienced Hilux owners can help with, particularly those folks that have to deal with smog testing:

:shrug:Can you pass a smog test without the pump in there (through tuning)? I realize they say on the site that they pop the hood to look, but do they really?

:shrug:Can a Weber-modified 20R pass the test anyways, say if you use the LCE "smog legal" Weber kit?

:shrug:Can you clean out any particular parts of the smog pump that will make it not suck the life out of a 38 year old truck? I'm particularly interested in any periodic maintenance that people do to their smog stuff to keep it from interfering with performance.

Thanks for your time, guys.:bowdown:

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
  3. Racersk

Racersk Member

CA opens hoods and checks for smog parts, PDX possibly might, because they want to be better than us 'Washingtonian's"...But in Seattle if your 25 years old=smog exempt. old stuff is sniffed, but they don't lift the hood. They did do a OBDII scan on my wife 2005, but I havent ran my '80 through a smog station since Ive owned it, going on 10 years now (King County).

Keep as much of the EVAP (charcoal canister, purge valve) systems as possible when desmogging to keep fuel tank vapors in check, but most everything else can go away.

On my 1980 truck I've deleted the air injection, and EGR system *completely* and my truck never even came with a catalytic converter new, so I have a 4-1 header to a 'twister' and a baffled Magnaflow knockoff-2.5" piping header back.

I need to replace a leaky header and patch work exhaust soon. Now that I've dialed in my 38/38- I may go green with a high flow cat of some sort, or at least plan on one on the future.

4. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
  5. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    Ya, PDX also opens the hood according to the website. And ya I do think its funny that the PDX law is set specifically at 1975, while Washington and other areas have the 25 year rule (which makes since to me). As if everyone with a 1976 auto will *always* be able to keep their smog levels in check...

The deletion tips are good. If I do delete the system, I'm not looking to make the thing dangerous or a super-polluter... I just feel like the EGR system is working so poorly at this point that its actually making my truck pollute worse than a non-egr vehicle. And ya, I like your philosophy about the catalytic converter. It's an easy mod that helps emissions considerably without really affecting the performance that much. I've actually been wanting to just add one to my truck's exhaust system, but I want to wait until I do a header and am building a new exhaust system so that I only end up buying it once.

If anyone else wants to weigh in on this, your opinions will be appreciated!

6. whaemmel@hotmail.com

[email protected] Newbie

Truck:
    80 l.b. 3/4t 87 4 wheel s.b.
    Cali is a pain on 22r smog, you can put a smog legal weber redline on 1985 back but not carbed 1986 up.There is an executive order regarding this date, I called Weber Redline and they aren't working on allowing
    newer 22rs this Weber exemption. I use guaranteed carb 179.00 free ups no core for rebuilds, rebuilding one to run in Cali is one thing but making it pass smog is another. i sold my 87 to the state after 3 carbs didn't pass in June, bought a 1980 1 owner 3/4T with new cat and smog to replace it. When my carb fails going weber. ARB cali cats and now Jan. 2015, AB32 is raising gas tax .15-50 a gal in CALI. doesn't do anything for environment. I do try to live green but this is just more Air Resource Board bull****. Special interest BS.

7. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    If you're going to TRY to smog your truck in CA....Don't remove a thing!

I've failed smog for things SOO small, that it is ridiculous! (passed emissions/failed VISUAL).

My dad once took apart his dual diaphragm and fixed the leaking diaphragms....glued it and screwed it shut....FAIL!

Tech- "That part has been modified"
    Dad - "I FIXED it!"
    Tech- "Its been modified, that's an automatic fail...sorry!"

CA smog laws are stupid and techs have to follow the rules or lose their jobs....Smogging in CA sucks!

8. Barnacles

Barnacles Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 Hilux - 3VZE
    Thanks for the input, guys. Ya, I've heard that they are super strict about it down in Cali. It's almost like they are encouraging you not to keep old tech running and instead waste a ton of resources on a new car (or a newer car). I get it that smog is real and we need to regulate it, but when your auto is coming up on 40 years old it almost seems like they should pay you to keep it on the road. Clearly this is a rant we could all carry on for hours...

9. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    If the weber is "CA smog legal" for your year, that would be the route to go...

If not, it might be time for a rebuilt?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014