timing problem

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Hiatushilux, May 20, 2015.

1. Hiatushilux

Hiatushilux Newbie

Hey guys I have a 77 pickup I just my engine back in after doing some work to it and I'm having trouble getting it started,
    I was wondering if there's a way to fine tune the timing because I believe it is just slightly off, if you need more info just let me know that's for the help!

2. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    To set initial timing on a new or unrunnable engine you will want to turn the engine over by hand until #1 reaches TDC compression, then turn the crank back a bit to align the timing mark on the crank with the timing you want to run (12* on a carbed R-motor IIRC). Make a mark on the distributor body that lines up with the #1 plug wire, then remove the cap and line the mark you made up with the point of the rotor.

You can also check timing with a timing light while the engine is cranking.

3. Hiatushilux

Hiatushilux Newbie

I did that and I can get my truck started if I keep my foot on the gas and it will dies if I let my foot off the gas and I tried adjusting my distributed and I could get it to idle pretty well with my foot off the gas but If I tried to start it up again i wouldn't start

4. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Did you advance or retard it to keep it running at idle, and by how many degrees?

When you say it wont restart, does it crank slowly or kick back on the starter at all?

5. Hiatushilux

Hiatushilux Newbie

It won't restart because it isn't getting a spark and Im pretty sure I advance it

6. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    Advancing the timing will not cause it to suddenly lose spark unless something was damaged or unhooked when you moved the distributor. If you have confirmed (via a spark test light or grounding a plug) that it is no longer getting spark, then you have an unrelated issue that needs to be resolved.

I have seen an issue where an engine would idle with a very high amount of advance, but once it was turned off it would not restart. However if that was the case I would suspect that it would be kicking back against the starter, which is why I asked about that.

7. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    make sure the dizzy isnt 180 out.
    that happened to my friend -after getting engine back from machine shop, they assembled the rest of the parts with no real supervision. i got an emergency hectic call saying the truck wont stay running and would have a very hard time starting.

--- to check this issue ---- remove valve cover! make sure crank is at TDC (0 deg on the pointer) and the cam/distributor drive gear dowel pin is in the 12 0'clock position. then install distributor with rotor at the #1 spark plug wire. should fire right up. if not, then its not the timing.

also, MAKE SURE plug wires are going to correct spark plugs. (proper firing order)