Time for upgrades!

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by first80toyota, Dec 21, 2013.

1. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    So I've decided to add to my somewhat existent stereo! Freeway speeds in a pretty loud truck with only a 6" speaker in each door isn't good enough:D I need some complimentary bass, or any bass for that matter.

I've decided on either the 8" or 10" kenwood excelon slim subwoofer, depending on how much room I have under my seat. The reviews are pretty good for both from what I've read on crutchfield and amazon, and they are in my budget!:waytogo: and they are hopefully the right depth.

For an amp i think I'll go with the Rockford fosgate r150x2 if I get the 8", and maybe the r500 for the 10". I'm open for opinions or advice on amps!

I won't buy anything until atleast next weekend.

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    So I just ordered everything I need(hopefully!):D nothing like spoiling myself for Christmas:waytogo:

I went with the kenwood KFC-xw800f subwoofer and a Rockford fosgate prime r150x2. Some reviewers on amazon suggested that amp with that sub so I decided to go for it.

I started building the sub box yesterday but didn't finish since I had holiday stuff to do. I'm using 3/4" mdf, cut it all on a vintage table saw(great grandpa bought it new) and glueing and screwing all edges.. I will also use some sound deadener on it and some poly fill since its slightly under recommended cubic footage.

I'm hoping that this thing holds up and hits decently!

3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Get some pics of the vintage tools bud. Nothing better than using old stuff to pimp old stuff. I wear vintage levis and old cowboy boots on top of my collection of retro tools.

Subs should sound great. I planned a behind the bucket seat 10 idea but need to flatten the cab for a decent sub.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I got a couple pics of building my box but will have to get a pic of the table saw.. It's a sears roebuck and co (before they did craftsman!) and it still works great!

I was thinking about behind the seat, but I have a lot of stuff back there:D thankfully bench seats have room underneath! When I was thinking of doing behind I was just going to cut out a square panel and just flipping it and welding it back in. I done nicely it would look original except to those who know:waytogo:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  5. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I was just gonna flat panel behind each seat but keep the center area cuz of how it fits the floor (look from underneath to see what I mean). I can barely fit a socket set under my buckets. I have lots of old vintage craftsmen tools and old sears stuff. Even have a sears and robuck shotgun from the 50s.

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I understand what you mean.. I'm just glad I have a bench. I put buckets in my last truck and it just didn't seem right, and you have a lot more storage room with a bench.

The only other problem with our generation of truck is that the floor has a 1" high lump in it side to side under the seat that I'm going to have to take a hammer to just for extra clearance for the sub(I'm doing a downfire enclosure)

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Are you talking the side to side rib the seat bolts to, or the length wise one that has a kink in front of the seat? Cuz the length wise one is over the frame. If you hammer it you'll push the cab against the frame and cause possible squeaks and rust. The seat rail can be mashed down flat where it doesn't have a seat bracket on it.

8. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    There's one parallel to the seat mount one about a foot back from it.. I never thought about it being for frame clearance.

Heres some pics of the box:

Just stacked together. The notches are to go over the lump under the seat. The box is upside down.
    [​IMG]

Glued and screwed.
    [​IMG]

Sound deadener inside.
    [​IMG]

And the bottom piece that the sub will be on, havnt cutout the hole since i want it to be perfect! :waytogo:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    That's rad. Should work pretty well. And yeah there is a pretty right frame to cab clearance. It's part of how there's no need to body drop the cab to the pinch weld, its only like 1/2" away lol. Look from the bottom.