The Thief Almost Got It-Broken Ignition

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 5-7HEAVEN, Aug 8, 2013.

1. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Hi. New guy here. A few days ago, a thief broke into my 1984 Toyota 2WD truck, trying to steal it. The owner before me also got broke in. They damaged the ignition housing, so he JB welded the missing collar. This time, thieves broke the housing and removed the lock. I can start the truck with a flat screwdriver, but the steering column locks up. I removed the left-side ignition electrical switch and harness. I also removed as many of the mounting bolts without pulling the steering wheel, but it still locks up.

At one point, the steering wheel would turn a bit, then lock up. This is with engine running or not.

Can anyone tell me what to do? I already ordered the plastics, ignition switch, cylinder and door locks on ebay. The wiring looks ok.

Thanks for help.

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    That really sucks to hear about. Welcome to the site. I'm sure there's some guys with your body style who know more. I only had an 84 for a couple months.

3. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Well, if it was me, I'd move to rural Maine...

4. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Anyone have an answer?

5. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    Inside is a gear pull it away from the wheel it will pull the lock pin out of the lock ring look in where the tumbler goes you should see it

6. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

When you say "pull it away from the wheel, do you mean away from the steering wheel", and towards the dash?

Do I have to pull off the steering wheel to do this? Right now, my truck is parked outside on the road. If I unlock this, I can use the truck while waiting for parts to arrive. It should be safe, as I have an alarm and case-hardened chain on the wheel.

7. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    You should do more then an alarm and chain.Make it inoperable.Like fuel cut off or pull your ignition fuse.I rerouted my ignition fuse from the fuse panel and ran it to a hidden spot inside with an inline fuse that I pull out every time i leave the truck.On my key chain I have another in line fuse that I use to store the fuse so I don't loose it.

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    That's a pretty damn smart idea. Regular plastic fuses are pretty durable to keep with ya too. I'm sure you have spares stashed away inside if you lose the one with ya. I always advocate a fuel pump relay kill switch on Toyotas since almost all of them had electric pumps. Funny thing is I haven't bothered to put my own on lol. I'm gonna get a quick release for my steering wheel and pad lock it into the bed when I leave. Good luck moving it then lol.

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    As for your truck, his steps seem pretty good. Get in there and I think you'll figure it out. Worst case scenario I see is you have to swap steering columns to a non locker or one that has keys. Hope ya get it solved.

10. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Well, I got the truck on the road again!:clapping:

There's a spring-loaded "key" that slides into the keyway that is machined on the steering shaft. That locks the steering.
    After removing the steering wheel, snap ring and turn signal assembly, the damaged ignition cylinder slipped off the shaft. With the steering lock removed, I reinstalled everything and drove away. At least I can use the truck now, instead of waiting for the new parts arrive.

Malessohomegrown, thanks for reminding me to install a cutoff switch.
    However, wouldn't a thief with basic knowledge be able to "hotwire" the car?

How about using a switch to ground the ignition? Then hot wiring wouldn't work to steal the car.

11. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Without power to the coil no spark so even if he hotwired it it wouldnt start.The ignition fuse sends power to the coil

12. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    You can run a wire straight from the battery to the coil.. Fuel pump cutoff switch or a switch to ground any power going to the coil are the best ones..

13. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Thanks guys. I'm not familiar with Toyota ignition, but I've run power straight to the coil and jump started my Chevys years ago.

I'm so upset I thought about setting a bear trap on the floor OR on the driver's seat!:evil:

I'd prolly get sued by the injured thief, lose and pay tens of thousands defending myself.

Instead, I'm gonna chain a steel milk crate to the driver's seat or steering column. Before breaking into my beater truck, they'll realize that if they can't sit, they can't drive the truck away!!!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  14. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Take the steering wheel with ya. Grant makes a 3 bolt steering wheel adapter, and they make quick releases for 3 bolt wheels. Then you can chain the wheel to the bed or take it with. Makes it inoperable and a quick visual "damnit!" for potential theives looking in the window

15. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Good idea. Thanks.

16. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

My plastic cover, ignition cylinder, lock and door locks arrived.....with no key. Hopefully, the seller can give me the donor's VIN, so I can make new keys.

I'm gonna try to glue back my broken steering lock cover, to use as a spare.

Update: Yay, I found the key!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  17. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Member

Update: The lock cylinder is for a tilt column and won't fit the non-tilt one on my truck. Dam.:shrug:

So I bought a complete non-tilt column on ebay. Besides using the lock cylinder, I can eyeball this column side-by-side with the tilt column I'm putting in my truck. Then I'll know exactly what to do when I swap the tilt in.

As luck would have it, the column arrived vis USPS.....damaged. Seller did not pack it carefully. After 17 days in transit, the column's threaded shaft punched a hole thru the thin cardboard end, damaging the threads. Oh well, I just needed the lock cylinder. As advertised, this column sold minus the ignition lock and key. Sweet, don't need them. I opened the box and there was the ignition lock in the cylinder.....with no key! Darn! Now I have to have a locksmith charge me $$ to remove the ignition lock! Forget it. The labor charges to remove the lock turned this sweet deal sour. The seller agreed to refund my money, so it's going back.

It's been a while since I've been driving with a screwdriver for an ignition key. No one's gonna steal it easily, with two FUGGETABOUTIT motorcycle chains, The Club, alarm, my newly-installed Denver Boot (which I like!) and the toggle switch I'm installing.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013