The quest for 150+hp n/a

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by eighty_D, Nov 12, 2014.

1. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I gotta find it, but when I do I'll let you know if you really want it. I got rid of my truck and my new runner is efi..

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    It's been awhile but I believe it was just the long block.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Sweet, I'll take it off your hands when you find it. We head over the mountains pretty regularly since my inlaws are out passed gig harbor.

4. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Gig harbor is a wee bit north of me lol, I'm in vancouver.. anything else your needing that I might have?

5. Squigy

Squigy Member

Truck:
    1973 Toy Hilux
    we used to run the 2 barrel Holley 500 in the race trucks.

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Even better since we drive semi trucks through Portland on our way to salem several times a week. :D

What else do you have left kicking around?

7. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I've got stuff. Any engine parts like rods, sets of pistons both std and oversize, intakes, heads, blocks, holly 350 2 barrel, side marker lights from my 77, 8" 3rd member with 3.07 gears.. I have more but don't feel like opening up my boxes lol

8. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    i think mine is making around 130-140.....
    according to my butt-dyno!
    she can scoot

i once held a camaro on the freeway, rolling at 60. hit the gas and held him at 2 lengths for a while. it was prob a V6. but still a camaro. im proud

_Rigo_ likes this.
  9. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I once had a mustang come cruising up behind me doing probably about 85-90 and I sped up and kept up with hime to about 115ish.. I couldn't keep pulling 6k in 5th..

10. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    lol ya i know what thats like. i dont like holding high rpm for very long time. i try to cruise at 70mph at 3k. but even that (3k) is high for me -for highway cruising. especially for these engines. but oh well, i must. i have to drive that way, i take freeway to work. and with the LCE race header into a 3in exhaust with a hooker max-flo muffler dumped before the axle, it can get pretty loud lol

11. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I built it and I had no problem with holding 3-4k, but 6k is too much.. I cruised 80 at 3500 everyday

12. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Any Chance you would turn loose of that 3rd member? My 4.11s are a bit short.

13. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I'm open to offers:waytogo:

14. eighty_D

eighty_D Member

Truck:
    '79 SR5 2wd lwb

I have a holley 500 2bbl off a circle track car. Probably buy a new one though as this has the choke tower removed and power valve delete.

I hear you on rocker price but its a complete set with towers and hardware. I might just get arms,shims and possibly shafts as mine is 36yrs old and alignment is pretty bad. I will call delta. What is max lift and duration on a hybrid without piston notching? I was thinking that 280-90° .450 lift would be about right for the powerband I'm after.

15. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Anything you might want on trade? I have a nice W50 sitting in the garage, an '80 steering box, and some complete '80 disc/spindles.

16. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I don't have my 77 anymore, only my 89 4 runner. Only things I'd really trade for are nice bucket seats or front valance/bumper for my runner.

17. Naz

Naz Newbie

Truck:
    Red '81 Hilux Longbed
    Here are the details of my "cheap" all-motor built '75 Celica 20R which was running 14.1 secs 1/4 mile passes on street tires about 18 years ago (smoking tires pretty much all first gear and part of second..). Should have been close to the 150HP, if not more. From top to bottom:

Ported and polished 20R head. Opened the ports to match the valve's diameter. Intake slightly coarse, exhaust mirror-like ported. Don't cut the head height.

Schneider racing cam. .527 lift. The wildest thing they offered. Double valve springs, forgot brand. Valves guides cut because of the huge lift. Stock retainers.

Valves, stock but polished on a bench drill with a grinder wheel. Double angle job.

Cannon dual sidedraft intake setup with two 45mm Webers. Holley red fuel pump.

Stock toyota 22R pistons, yes I bored a perfectly fine 20R block... Pistons notched to allow the valve lift. Pistons and rods meticulously weight balanced. Rod sides were grinded/mirror-like polished to remove imperfections.

Crankshaft & flywheel where machine shop "pinned" together (three pins in between flywheel bolts). Then balanced. Without those pins, bolts would come loose because of the high RPMs.

W50 transmission. I went through 4-5 of them. Shifting @ 8K RPMs without lifting was terrible on them. They are not as "bulletproof" as they claim.

other miscellaneous: Electric fan (so the factory one won't detach and kill someone). Fuel regulator, brass clutch disk (avoid the 2K pound Centerforce Plate, it will kill your thrust bearings if it's a street car). And a 4.37 third member out of a Toyota Crown with welded satellites . I think I snapper about 5 axles. The '75 Celica ones are spaghetti thin..

That's it my friend. I didn't have much money on it, but a plethora of hours in the shop I used to work. When I missed a shift, that tach would easily touch 8.5-9K RPMs. Never an engine failure (I used top Mobil 1 oil). Tranny and axles were another story.

Enjoy your 2XR my friend.

1976 SR5 likes this.
  18. 1976 SR5

1976 SR5 Member

Truck:
    1976 SR5 long bed
    A testament to 20R heads being the best flow. I love the built not bought engine build. I not only liked this , I took screenshots for notes.