The old lady...

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by mota man, Apr 26, 2017.

1. mota man

mota man Newbie

Truck:
    80 longbed 2wd
    Hello thought I'd start a build thread for my 1980 Toyota pickup. Had some serious coolant leakage problems so I recently replaced all the hoses and the heater core. The coolant had leaked onto the floor of the cab and totally soaked the insulation so I'm in the process of tearing out the cab to the bare metal. Found some rust to contend with after tearing up some of the factory sound deadener...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] the plan is to continue to remove that crap, sand /fix rust, then paint. I'm looking at second skin products for sound deadener and insulation, $$$ but I want to do the floor right so it'll last another 37 years. I'm not a fan of carpet so I'm looking at vinyl flooring. I got an itch to do a snakeskin pattern but I haven't found anything yet so I'll talk to a local upholstery business. Thanks for checking out the thread.

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    FatMat , http://www.fatmat.com/

I used this product through out my truck works very well & way less money than the most popular!

3. mota man

mota man Newbie

Truck:
    80 longbed 2wd
    My concern is that fatmat is asphalt based. I like how straightforward the second skin company is about their product and what else is out there. Their website says that products like fatmat are basically just commercial roofing material. Heres a QUOTE I found on pro-touring.com:
    "08-05-2009, 05:38 PM
    My gosh..
    Out of Dynamat Extreme, r-blox& Fatmat, Dynamat is the ONLY way to go.

The foil is 3 times as thick as R-blox and twice as thick as Fatmat.
    You get 30% more adhesive by weight, compared to each and the adhesive on Dynamat is butyl and will not melt, where as the R-blox and fatmat is actually a gutter tape with an asphalt adhesive that will melt at 180 degrees (and is toxic)

Of of the choices you listed above, there is only one vibration damper, the others are roofing tape that looks like a vibration damper and is sold to the public under false pretenses.

As the owner of Second Skin I have a lot of worth while competition out there.
    Cascade, Dynamat, Stinger, Hushmat etc. But Fatmat & R-blox are two of the only competitors out ther that I personally have no respect for.

Sorry to be such a bummer..

ANT

PS.. It will take slightly more that 2 layers of fatmat to get similar resuls as the Dynamat Extreme.
    If you have a limited budget, maybe $150. Spend it all on a superior product, then spread that out evenly over the entire surface area of the sheet metal, focusing on the flatter areas. This will yield the same results as 100% coverage with an inferior product.
    jocko124"

***I dunno...some of those other products mentioned in the QUOTE May be worth some research as well.

4. mota man

mota man Newbie

Truck:
    80 longbed 2wd
    Made some progress with the interior. The rust wasn't all the way through the floor so I tried the ospho method and it seemed to work. I went ahead with second skin sound deadener.

Also put down a layer of thermal insulation from second skin.

The final product with the new vinyl flooring and reupholstered bench seat. Next to do on the interior is get new wind cranks, door handles, and lock tabs as well as rebuild the door panels.

5. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Interior is looking good!

I like those window visors. Any idea if they are factory or aftermarket?
    [​IMG]

6. mota man

mota man Newbie

Truck:
    80 longbed 2wd
    Thanks!

I really like them too esp. here in AZ. I took a look at them and couldn't find any visible markings but they appear to match the trim on the side rails of the bed. Could have been a dealer option or aftermarket but i don't know for sure.