supra front suspension

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by burnzya, Aug 17, 2008.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i was looking through some old threads and seen someone mentioned that supra front suspension will bolt onto the pickups. I can't find anymore info in the archives, so i'm wandering if anyone can give me some info on whats involved. I already installed the supra i.r.s. so it would be great to use the front suspension as well. Thanks

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    how hard was the rear setup? also Im interested in the front set up as well.

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    drunk post

so the rear of the IRS celi/supra suspension its self contained cept the upper spring perches, sway bar mounts and upper shocks .

teh front is a mcferson (sp?) setup. so you would need custom strut towers that could handle a ton of stess cuz thats where the front body wheight is handled. bout 1.5ft above the frame rails.
    [​IMG]

the control arms mount to the x-member. so it would be handy to use the celi/supra x-member the eng mounts are built into it.

this has got me thinkin...

ive got a 81 and 83 celica front x-member just sitting around. the 83 has a manual rack n pinion.

pics and stuff comin :cool:

Ianheil likes this.
  4. yotarip

yotarip Veteran

The illustration you posted is of the 1979-86 supras. They had a strut type front suspension which would NOT work for the trucks. I am sure the actual swap uses the front suspension from 86.5-1992 supras. The front suspension on those years uses the A-arm IFS similar to the trucks. I need to check this out since I have a 88 supra.

5. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i think your right yotarip, it seemed they were talking of the 86.5 to the 92 suspension. I found the post by clicking the archive icon on the bottom right of the page under 84-88 customization, it was in the first post. From what i got of it they pretty much just bolt the knuckle to the truck control arms. I'm interested about this since the front truck brakes are smaller than the supra irs rears. i'm putting a 327 in the truck and need all the braking i can get.

6. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i measured the assembly that holds the irs in the supra, then built a custom frame that is 4 inches narrower than the factory measurements since the irs is wider than the factory straight axle. I have seen these used where they make a lower control arm and mount an airbag to it instead of using the multi link setup. I had planned to do the same but thought the lower mounts on the knuckle looked kind of weak, so i'm going to build tubular link bars, and mount the bag on an arm in between the upper control arm with a dogbone that bolts into the factory strut mount. Its hard to describe but i'm sure it will be just as strong as factory. I'm planning about 400 h.p. out of the 327 so i dont want anything to break.

7. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

i picked up the complete drop out assembly for $136 bucks at pick and pull in chandler az. the second pick is how i mounted the multi link. As soon as i sign off i will be driving the 40 miles to pick and pull to check out the front end of a 89 toyota supra turbo.

8. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    Just a small note...if you cant find a Supra rear then get one out of a Lexus GS430 car. Its the same as the Supra & will work the same way! My buddy Hector at TAP told me that, so I bought the rear clip for my 91 truck. :)

9. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4

now that makes a bit more sense to me, pretty ignorant on the newer supras.

gonna check out a newer supra the next time i see one in a yard, big brakes would be a nice upgrade.

10. slacker

slacker Addict

Truck:
    84-7m-GTE custom
    It built a whole NEW frame ..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    very nice, since i heard of the front suspension idea i have been thinking of building a new frame also and putting the suspension, motor and tranny from a supra under my 79 yota, but naturally it would need bags instead of the coils

12. TOY|STORY808

TOY|STORY808 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 TOYOTA PICK UP
    so what else rear end your able to use on our trucks...i want that rear camber look...

i need more info

13. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    the supra rearend is used alot along with the nissan z series car rearends. the rear has more options since you can easily modify the frame to hold the rearend.

14. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    this is the rear bracket i made to hold the 3rd member
    [​IMG]

15. TOY|STORY808

TOY|STORY808 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 TOYOTA PICK UP
    was it an easy step by step process to get the correct pinion angle and everything..
    so you re enforced your frame right???

16. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    the way the third member is made, the housing around the top right stud sticks out further than the rest, i made the plate straight, and used washers on the other three. so to change pinion angle or move it left to right i just have to adjust the amount of washers on the other three holes. i just built a whole new frame for my truck to accomadate the rear end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    update, i bought the spindle, calipers and rotors off a 87 supra. they indeed will bolt on with the exception of the tie rod. the truck tie rod end is larger and wont fit the spindle. also the tie rod is connected from the top on the truck spindle and the bottom of the supra spindle. the wheel center will be about 1" further foward than stock. from what i can tell the supra spindle will lower the truck about 1 1/4", which is cool if you wanted drop spindles.

here it is next to a stock assembly
    [​IMG]

the back of the stock one, you can see the spud is in-line with the ball joint holes and rather close to the bottom one.
    [​IMG]

here is the back of the supra assembly, you can see the spud is forward of the ball joint holes and closer to center.
    [​IMG]

18. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    Man that is DISGUSTING! I cant wait to see how it all comes together!! Sweet build man! :D

19. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    uhm no homo but i totally love you guys for posting the love of the Supra's!

20. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i am revisiting this supra spindle, hub, and brake conversion. me and macrib were just talking about this over lunch.... we were at the yards today and are thinking we need to try this. the upgrade results are just too good to pass up.