Suggestions for Improving the Site

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by Jeff, Oct 11, 2010.

1. CurtisZ

CurtisZ Addict

Truck:
    1978 Pickup Longbed
    I use the motorola droid as well... I have had some issues logging in, and the top banner is frequently distorted. I like being able to see the entire site in it's full Internet aura, but I would also like to see a more plain 'mobile' format. I cannot see this being something that will be implemented, but I decided to throw it out there.

What we really are looking for are thread janitors and not moderators in the true sense of the term. That was one reason I threw out a tiered moderator suggestion.

2. andrep6810

andrep6810 Member

Truck:
    94ext 2jz
    This site isn't bad at all. The changes should improve the overall site. Not one person's specific issue. All should agree/majority for these changes. Man break out the ballots.:). Do I hear "yes we can!"

3. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    YES WE CAN:clapping::waytogo:

4. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    LOL I dont like Obama of course I dont like any politician really. Since I only have an unresolved bias opinion on politicians and Im on the net for roughly 4 hours a day anyway I would like to nominate myself for a MOD. Yah I dont like politicians but you can still vote for me. Ha

5. andrep6810

andrep6810 Member

Truck:
    94ext 2jz
    Hey while we are at it let's cure world hunger. I'm online all day everyday. Ask yourself will the changes save time and money. Simple if yes then i'm all for it. If no let's keep it moving.

6. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i just wanna clean up threads, move threads, merge threads, and make stickies :D

7. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    this sounds like a good start :)

8. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    thank you ! that alone would turn this site into heaven...

9. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Very true TITAN:waytogo:

10. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo

+++++1 for the rep system and multimedia section!!!!! Sweet idea!

11. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    my suggestions...

take away ALL of the individual year sub categorys.

combine them all into "bulk sections" like 1 place for everything brakes, all buildups, engines, ect.

then use the post reporting system to weed out the truly year specific stuff and put in its proper general year specific catagory. new mods can deal with that task, as the users respond. rather then sorting everything at once.

would make stickies way easier to build for mod's and you could also report post's that have already been answered so theres less clutter.

another thing to change would be the settings for the "recent threads" window on the home page. is it possible to set it so its "today's post's" instead of "new post's" ?

for some reason with both firefox and IE the session will reset after a few threads read, and all post's will be marked read. the only sure fire way i've found to stay on top is clicking the today's post's link, which if you dont know is hiding in the quick links drop down, it doesnt exsist. and tons of threads get buried quick here.

id be happy with that and new mods.

thanks

12. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

I feel so sorry for jeff, poor guy's got his hands full! Seeing how he is willing to do some of the things we've asked has made me feel bad for joining in the mutiny!

Sorry Jeff! thanks for all your help!

13. Central Scrutinizer

Central Scrutinizer Member

Truck:
    89 xcab
    I agree with ShoNuff, get rid of the individual year groupings. Makes it tough to find stuff, stickies would be a lot more useful too.

14. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

No need to apologize. As the owner of the site, it is my responsibility to maintain the site. All I'd ask is for a little more patience and understanding for everyone as running this site isn't my (or anyone else's) full-time job. :)

So, is it widely agreed that we shouldn't have the forum split up by model year/generation? I want to make sure that the majority agree on this before we go making BIG changes like this.

What does everyone think?

15. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
  16. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    No I dont think so, I think maybe adding a 22r 22re and whatever the v6 is called sections... also weber section... but make sure we have plenty of stickies

17. KYNgsx

KYNgsx Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 2wd
    Whoa, I wouldn't agree with that. That seems pretty drastic. That's going to make it way harder to find stuff. Like I mentioned earlier, I think the site is pretty well organized as is.

I did think of one thing though. Keep everything the way it is, but make certain sections separate and not model specific. Something like this:

Engine Performance/Maintenance

-20R

-22R

-22RE

-3VZE

-Swaps

Drivetrain

Wheels and Tires

18. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Yeh, I actually like that idea better, actually, kyngsx. I've thought for a while that we should have engine-specific topic areas, since there seems to be a lot of engine-related and engine-specific discussion.

On the other hand, I don't really think there's enough discussion about Weber carbs to necessitate having a dedicated section for it. That would be like having a dedicated topic area for each brand of tire that people discuss on here. But maybe we could have a dedicated topic area for aftermarket carburetors. Thoughts? Comments?

19. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    I agree about the carburetors. A section for aftermarket carburetors would be better, so that way it groups together side drafts, webers, and everything else related like that.

20. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    yeah, didnt think too much about it but a section dedicated to "carbs" period would probably be great.