Suggestions for Improving the Site

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions' started by Jeff, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Jeff

Jeff Administrator Staff Member

Curious: How did you arrive at your magical number of 3-5 moderators? What experience do you have administering a forum that gives you that insight?

2. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    can you make it where i click the tm logo at top it goes back to the recent posts like it has forever???

it did it when i signed on a while ago and now it don't lol.

3. Jeff

On CT, I sell lanyards for $3.99 each. I would say that IF we did them I would sell them at a very similar price. What do you think?

4. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    I rather have a toyotaminis lanyard but i can do with a custom tacos one.

Utility 77 likes this.
  5. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i use a motorola droid and it's fine. i actually hate when sites default my phone to the mobile version... i got a phone to view true internet, not a mobile version lol

Utility 77 likes this.
  6. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I dont, but I frequent enough forums to know it doesnt run smoothly without them.. my guess is 3 to 5 would be more than enough to keep things in order... with that many there should always be someone on that can help.

I would consider buying one if I saw it.. its not 3.99 shipped right ?

7. Jeff

Wait, whaaa? :confused:

Clicking the logo at the top has always taken you back to the site home page. That's pretty standard navigation for almost any site on the 'net: clicking the logo takes you back to the home page. I don't think it makes sense for that to take you anywhere else.

8. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    how would we buy??? us that dont have paypal or credit cards???? some toyota minis,com stickers would look good as well like ct.com 1s do on the rear window

9. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    thats what i meant.. lol the home page, and it always shows like the last 10 recent topics :waytogo:

10. Jeff

Fair enough. I think 3-5 is too many for the size of this site. Keep in mind that CustomTacos currently has 37,000 members and gets along fine with about 4 active moderators.

Yes, it would be $3.99 and then about a buck for shipping. For comparison, Drop Em' Wear sells lanyards for $5.95 + shipping. :D

11. Jeff

We already have stickers for sale (really nice ones, too!). Right. Here.

Sorry, we don't have any option for non-credit card payment. Perhaps you can get together with someone near you and buy a couple on his card and pay him? :shrug:

12. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    right I understand, but a lot of us have lives like you lol, and the people who I think are mod-worthy dont have the most time, so with surplus mods we would be able to clean up this site and make it super easy to find the info on here.. I hardley search for things anymore because its almost impossible to find some things.... and remember Im not suggesting full out mod-mods.. just 3 to 5 people with some extra authority in moving things around and deleting some content.

13. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup
    I would like to see a pic of the lanyard and i think that is a fair price

14. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    oh wow those are nice

15. KYNgsx

KYNgsx Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 2wd
    I like the site as is. It runs pretty smooth. It's not bogged down with ads. I like the fact that it's fairly small and specifically caters to 2wd Toyota pickups. It makes it easy to find what I'm looking for. It's nice and simple and everyone here is pretty chill. I don't quite understand why there is all this whining all of a sudden. Am I the only one who feels this way? I guess there's no way to win because here where there is light moderation, people want more of it, and on other sites with heavy moderation, people want less of it. :shrug:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
    Utility 77 likes this.
  16. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

YAY! minimum post count before posting for sale ads! Thanks Jeff!

Now, I like the idea of posting write ups for review, then stickie and lock upon approval. It'd be nice to stickie them in the section they're relative too instead of having a completely new section,though. For instance, the BJ flip....why not just stick a quality write write up (read "n00b friendly) at the top of the suspension section. 4wd front fenders stuck at the top of the body section, dizzy swap at the top of the engine section. Although it might get redundant having 2 or 3 stickies for the same tech article, having one posted at the top of each year's section would cut down on people saying " I tried to search but couldn't find anything for my 19xx hilux, so here's my question:"

It's cool if nobody else likes this, it's just a suggestion. Oh, and one more thing a WEBER CARBS SECTION! I see thread after thread of the same stuff pertaining to weber carbs. Where to get them and where to get parts. How to tune them. Which carb is for me. I know this because I am guilty of this, I'm not pointing fingers at anyone but me. I've just seen the same thing I've asked, re-asked over and over and over. Maybe you could contact some companies and work out a deal for ad space here and links to them to help offset some of the costs associated with the site. Just a thought.

17. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    No, your not the only one...

I'm a ain't broke don't fix it guy... :lol:

18. Sound.Vision.Soul

Sound.Vision.Soul Toyotaholic

Truck:
    93 Pick up I6 Turbo
    I have to agree. I can honestly say this is the only forum i have ever continued to be apart of. And i love it....

But.... maybe one or two active mods would be nice. And for sure we need some sticky threads. I see lots of repeat noobs asking for the same thing.... sticky's wuld clean up some clutter for sure.

And maybe some more action on the Chat Room! I never see anyone on there!

19. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I wanna build stickies...

Need to build a main sticky with all the good facts and stuff, tuts, and all the info that ShoNuff, Nook, Burnzya, and other guys have had posted. I was thinking about building a Master 20R/22R/22RE sticky, then a W-series sticky with the help of the Quantum Auto guys, and then some suspension stickies.

Where's StandardByker? lol

20. Guam_Guy

Guam_Guy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1994 Toy in the Project phase!
    A dedicated multimedia section would be cool. A place for us to post nothing but pictures and videos that could be easily sorted through.

A reputation system, especially a trader rep system although I haven't heard of anyone getting ripped on this site.

As for the mods issue, we need to be very careful in using mods. Too much moderation will end in utter failure. The whole issue with mods wasn't that we didn't have enough it was because we never felt their presence. I don't think anyone was "whining" we were just trying to take some action (maybe went in the wrong direction...good push, wrong hill!) This is the best site when it comes to our trucks and I for one will be around here for a while.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010