Stereo brackets

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by KingBouyah, Oct 1, 2016.

1. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

So the po had a really sketchy radio/cassette deck that was mounted in with plastic brackets which were broken,and just hanging in the slot when I bought my 92. It was probably original from 92 but not factory.

To get some tunes going until I can really upgrade, I went and pulled a dual din CD player from a Sienna and it works great. There were no pickups in the pick n pull, so I snagged brackets from a 93 4runner, but I can't get them to fit. It almost looks like I need to flip them upside down, but I know that can't be right.

Is there a difference between the plastic dash setup Vs the foam dash setup? Are 4 runner brackets different? My dash looks like this: [​IMG]
    (not my photo)
    It looks like the bottom mounts of the brackets are forward of the top mounts.

The 4 runner brackets have the top mounts forward of the bottom. Like what is seen in this thread: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/classic-t4rs/18589-2nd-gen-stereo-removal-w-pics.html
    Am I doing something wrong?

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I'd try flipping them, just to see what happens. Worst case, it don't work

I know there are many guys who would build new mounts with backstrap

3. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    When I get home I can take a look at the brackets on my old double-din stereo from my 93 and show you what those look like. maybe you can drill out a new hole? or is there no metal where you need it?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Arent they labeled RH and LH?

5. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    The brackets I've always grabbed from muy local Pick and Pocket have been labeled RH/LH. But if You're in a pinch I think I once saw that the brackets from the old Toyota Minivans??? were the same. Could be wrong but I know they loved mix matching Lego parts in the early 90's...

Edit: Abort! A quick Google proved me wrong, but some of what I said rings true.. YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  6. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Yeah, they are labeled R and L and they fit on the radio great. When I pulled the stereo from the Sienna, I put the brackets from the 4runner on and did a quick test fit in the 4runner, it worked great. But it just doesn't fit in the pickup.
    I ended up flipping the brackets upside down and on opposite sides. I had to bend a couple tabs for them to fit flush. It only lines up with one set of holes on the pillar, and it sits about a half inch behind the bezel. So it's not the cleanest, but it works.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The second picture makes it seem really obvious, but I think the camera flash made it look worse than it is.
    So these are the brackets that I picked up:

s-l1000.jpg
    and then these are the brackets that I think I need after some google searching:
    Toyota-Hilux-Pickup-Truck-Radio-Brackets-89-95.jpg
    I'll see if I can find some at the other salvage yard and keep everyone posted.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just drill new holes on the brackets where they mount to the radio.

8. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

They mount to the radio just fine, and where it puts the radio face is about 1/2" behind the bezel. There's not 1/2" of space on the bracket to drill new holes and the nubs wouldn't match up either. It's the holes that mount to the truck that don't line up. The mounting tabs on the 4runner brackets are further apart and the top is forward of the bottom. The pickup brackets have the mounting tabs closer together and the bottom is forward of the top.

9. unclejesse

unclejesse Newbie

If your truck is a base model, they used a different dash setup, including where the radio mounts. The radio bezel mounts differently as well. I would assume that the 4runner mounts are the same as a non-base truck.

10. BatryOpratedBoy

BatryOpratedBoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    Brave Little Toaster (Diana) and Salsa Verde (Traction Control)
    Wait really? Are we talking those super rare single DIN radio setups?

11. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Thanks uncleJesse, that does back up what I've encountered. I don't know about single DIN setups, but here is what I found. If you have the multi piece plastic dash, you likely need the pickup brackets. Your mount looks like this with the plastic wrapping over the top mounting hole in the pillar:
    [​IMG]
    As you can see the bottom mounting hole comes forward a bit.
    If you have the one-piece foam padded dash, your setup probably looks like this where the plastic comes down over both mounting holes and has a rectangular clip mount between them:
    [​IMG]
    On the above photo, you can kind of see the difference in the brackets. The one on the left is the 4 runner and on the right is the pickup.
    So when I installed my stereo, here is how I mounted the 4runner brackets (upside down on opposite sides) notice the bent tabs :
    [​IMG]
    You have to put the top holes of the bracket behind the pillar and just use screws in the bottom holes only.
    [​IMG]
    As I posted above, it left a gap, so I went and got some proper brackets. Here it is mounted correctly compared to the 4runner brackets:
    [​IMG]
    It's kind of an optical illusion because I can't quite get them side by side without leaning the top of the 4 runner bracket forward, but it is a bit taller.
    But hey, no more gap:
    [​IMG]
    My dash is much happier now.
    [​IMG]
    So the moral of this story is... It's uh... Just get the right brackets to begin with.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    LAYNLOW likes this.
  12. Jpeg

Jpeg Newbie

Any suggestions where I can get a set of brackets for a 1992 Toyota Pickup base model?

Eduardo Cervantes likes this.
  13. Eduardo Cervantes

Eduardo Cervantes Newbie

I too need help tracking these brackets, help please fellas!

14. Lee Gin

Lee Gin Newbie

Look on ebay for "Toyota pickup oem stereo brackets" and you will find them.

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Can always go to a junkyard