stereo/amp setup

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by standardbyker88, Mar 1, 2010.

1. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    okay, i have never set up an system with amps and a sub. i have a sub i have tested and it works, as well as 2 small amps. the sub is a memphis m class 10" with 200rms 400peak. i have an alpine 3542 amp and an mtx thunder 4122 amp. i already have large cable to feed the amps, and ect. im basically trying to put together a nice system with stuff i got for basically free.

the alpine specs online say 160x1 at 4ohm with 0.3%THD, 10Hz-50kHz, S/N 105db. it has gain adjustment but no built in crossover.

the mtx specs on the back say 120x1 at 4ohm with <1%THD+N, 200x1 dynamic power at 4ohm (doesnt give a THD rating for that). mtx's site says that the 200 is only at 14.4v and in full range crossover mode. it has a built in crossover set at 85Hz.

and my deck has ipod control (not just an aux jack, but works through the dock port into a USB input) which i love. it works great. has front and rear amp outputs, and can do a built in high pass cutoff, so i know i can cut the lows at a point i select in the deck. sounds alot better in the doors without the lows. and it also has a sub booster mode of sorts. its a pioneer 3900 i believe. or 4000. forget off the top of my head. ive had alot of pioneers. lol.

soooo...all you stereo guys, what im asking is, whats the best way of wiring this up? im thinking front amp outputs to the mtx, at 60x2@4 to the door speakers. rear outputs to the alpine, bridged at 160, wired to the sub. so i could use the high pass for the doors, since the in deck low cut takes away from all outputs i believe. but, if there is a better way to do this...somebody chime in. thanks in advance, and if you need more specs or any photos let me know. i wanna have this all wired up by the hilux meet.

2. standardbyker88

Truck:
    i think i read the mtx site wrong a little bit. if someone can help clear this up, id love it. and im running a set of fullrange 6-1/2s in the doors powered by the deck. even though the mtx amp wouldnt be much more power, id assume it would be less noise ratio than the deck to the 6-1/2s. i already know how i want to wire the power for the amp remote circuit. i ran a second wiper switch for my stereo keyed source. i will run the amp remote leads just off the high side for the sub, and the fulls through both. and the deck its through both. so i can have sound with and without the sub. probably have a small indicator light for each sub remote feed so i know the condition of things.

am i on the right track here?

3. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    if you don't have a dedicated sub output, and you have no crossover settings on the alpine it wont work for a sub. Are these both 2 channel amps?

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    yes they are. and thats what i need to check on the deck. it has a function to turn a sub output on or off through the deck, i think it might be a switch to turn the rear into a sub output. ill have to research that a bit.

would the mtx work for the sub in a low crossover setting, and the alpine for the doors then? i havent done this all before...and dont wanna fry the gear.

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Ok, you are on the right track.
    I've installed a unit that had a set of Rear RCA's that could be switched to a sub out...
    If the head has a sub output, you can use any amp you like. The output specs you listed were a bit confusing (by only listing the mono output of the MTX).

Anyway, the MTX will actually make quite a bit of difference over the power from the head. I know all these manufacturers claim "55 watts per channel" it is usually more like 12 - 15 watts. Sure it can hit 55 for a quarter of a second, but what good is that really?

6. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    turn off the radio with the ignition on and hold down the function or audio button until a menu pops up.. some times its the source button or volume knob.

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    i know the menus of the deck well. i just dont have the manual anymore to know if the sub: on/off/reverse mode changes the rear output. the mtx said like 50x2@4. figured it has a crossover so id use it. and it would sound a bit cleaner. im going low buck or id just buy a nice 4 channel amp and crossovers. lol.

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    got the manual from pioneers site in PDF saved. in case i lost the paper one. looks like i can turn the rear outputs into a sub output. and adjust the cutoff freq. so ill use the pioneer for that. and the mtx for the doors. ill run it full range, and adjust the cutoff point in the headunit. i have an old manual EQ i thought would be a cool old school part to use. but might just stick with the one in the deck. i think ive got this all figured out now. but more suggestions are welcomed.

9. standardbyker88

Truck:
    ding ding ding! im retarded! i have sub output rcas too. lol. so i can make this much easier it seems.

10. standardbyker88

Truck:
    test wired it all up in the house, that little sub is gonna sound great inside the tiny cab space i have. with the alpine. as for the mtx, everything i could think of to try pointed to it being blow. lights up, but neither the rca or speaker wire input seemed to get an output. i tried wiring the sub bridged and as a single left or right. it had me stumped. think its fixable? id like to be able to have some door amp power if possible. if not, goal #1 of a sub will be met.