Static dropped 78 long bed

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 78TowPig, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Hello everyone. I'm new here. I've been doing some looking around on the forum and it's inspired me to go ahead and static drop my 78 and build a latter rack so that I can start hauling all the metal for my other truck without having to borrow a trailer. Here are just two pics of how it looks now. I may get a few more up before this weekend but the plan is to build the rack Friday. Then cut coils, c notch, and pull a leaf on Saturday. It already has 3" blocks in the rear and new shocks but I may end up with air shocks before long so I can still haul my bike. This won't really be a long thread because I'm going to finish it all this weekend but I figured I'd share a little bit with yall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In case you're wondering, the strips of sheet metal in the bed are to patch up big holes where it rusted out. The side of the bed and both floor pans were completely rusted out. The guy I bought it from pulled it out of the weeds and was about to haul it to the scrap yard so I offered him $350 and he sold it to me instead. The tank was rusted out too but it did run. I patched the holes, replaced the tank with a 5 gallon Jerry can, plumbed it to the carb with a Mr. gasket fuel pump, and changd the trans filter/fluid. Thats all it took to get it on the road. She ain't no show truck but it was cheap and it's a blast to drive.

Arodmod likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Glad to see you saved it from the scrap yard.

3. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Me too! I hate seeing these old trucks thrown away. I had my eye on another one right down the road from my house but I guess he sold it before I could make an offer.

4. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Well it took a little longer to get these on here but I did get it done this weekend. Well almost. First, the place that sold me my metal said it came in 24" sticks, I believed them, it looked long enough to me. My dad went and picked it and we didn't think anything about it unitl I went to cut my two 11' pieces and I realized they were 20' instead. So I didn't have enough to finish both top rails, but I will this weekend. Also I am going to have to make a new cross member and cut the old one out. I notched the frame but the hogs head is still smashing that bar over every bump. But once I get that out and get my air shocks on it I'll be ready to cruise anywhere

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pre static drop...

[​IMG]

post static drop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

vegas_yota likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Looks good. How much did you bring the front down?

6. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Im not sure of the exact number but I cut two coils and id say its close to 3 inches. I also did 3" blocks in the back and pulled the middle leaf and put the overload on top. That got it sitting really low. Any lower and I would have to put bags and cut stuff out of my way

7. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Good job on the rack...fairly sturdy?

8. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Pretty sick truck. I like the way your going with it.:waytogo:

9. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Thanks guys. The rack is sturdy enough to carry what I want which is a piece of sheet metal or a few sticks of tubing but its made out of 1/16 wall 1x1 so it wouldn't stand up to a whole lot. But it is nice and light which is a plus for me. I also made the back two bars adjustable/removable so I can take them out when I want to roll my bike in the back. Or if I carry something shorter they can be placed every foot starting at the bar behind the cab.

10. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    I was able to get the air shocks on and working great and I got the ladder rack finished.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I do have a question though. This was my first go round with pulling leafs. I read on here to pull the middle leaf and move the overload on top. I did that and it slammed the back end. I noticed however though that doing that just made it a mono leaf with the over load being a .75" spacer. I've got that issue resolved now, I made new clips to hold the two together and it has the air shocks but my question is are you guys who have done this leaving it? Or were you able to get the clamps off the middle leaf and reuse them? It looked to me like they were riveted on to the middle leafs so I left them off without thinking. I was just wondering.

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    It is somewhat monoleafed except the main leaf doesnt bemd upward where the axle is mounted. Still has some springiness.

You can always put the middles leaf back and keep the overload on top which will still givie it a good drop. But obviously not as low

12. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Okay I see. I notched my frame but never removed the cross member so it kept bottoming out after it settled. I am tempted though to go back and make a new cross member and then make some clamps for the bottom leaf that will catch the overload only when I put a lot of weight in the back(like a motorcycle). If I do that I believe it should stay pretty low but never cause the main leaf to over extend and give me a little bit smoother ride.

13. AspireCycle

AspireCycle Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed 5 Speed
    maybe I missed it but could you please share more info on what brand/model number shocks you used for the front and rear. Thanks!

14. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    The front are just stock Monroe shocks for a 78 Toyota and the rear are Monroe air shocks for Toyota pick ups. The part number for the air shock is MA-792, fits 74-83, I don't know the number for the front but any parts dealer can tell you that. The front shocks were $19 a piece at NAPA and the rear ones were $63 off eBay with free shipping. The rear shocks fit great and took no time to install. The front ones made the ride much better but I still bottom out on big dips in the road.

15. AspireCycle

AspireCycle Member

Truck:
    1978 Longbed 5 Speed
    thanks for the info! I appreciate it

16. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    No problem

17. joshyman

joshyman Newbie

Truck:
    1976 Hilux
    I like this build so far. I have a 76 long bed and am about to start the lowering process. Did you use a specific block or just a universal? Also, if I go with a 4" block in the back on mine will I need to do any more modification underneath the truck do you think?

18. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    Thank you. I just used a set of universal blocks from Advance Auto. You should be fine with 4" blocks. I notched my frame but I don't think it was necessary because the cross member hits the hogs head before the axle would hit the frame. But that was with it mono leafed and the overload spring on top. I wanted 4" blocks but I couldn't find any for a decent price and I knew I was going to put air shocks on it anyways so keeping all my springs wasn't a big deal.

19. 78TowPig

78TowPig Member

Truck:
    78 Long bed
    I got one door panel made out of some old license plates over the weekend. The center console is made out of license plates to so it blends right in
    [​IMG]

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Post a pic of the door panel

*edit* the pic showed up after i posted my comment lol. Looks good

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015