starting problem

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by oneshot, Aug 22, 2015.

1. oneshot

oneshot Newbie

20r 78 toyota pu cranks slow like the battery is almost dead after the gas pedal is depressed. after 15 seconds or so it starts to pick up the pace and turn at the speed a starter should. After several repeats of this it usually starts. Also there is a definite odor of unburnt gasoline in the exhaust after it starts and while it idles. When it is warm I just turn the key without depressing the gas pedal and it usually starts right up, but cold starting requires a little gas i guess.

Any idea on what causes the starter to hang (slow-crank) when the accelerator is depressed and how I might solve the problem? I made one running vehicle out of two defunct toyota pickups that were given to me. (transferred the fuel tank, carb, brake cylinder, and other odds and ends from one to the other so the problem could easily be something I did wrong during assembly as I am certainly nothing even close to a mechanic.)

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Search these forums for starter problems. Its been discussed plenty

3. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    maybe you just need to tune the carburetor a bit. you can always test your battery with a volt meter to see if your juice is good. Id say if battery is good and messing with the carb doesn't get you anywhere then try a new starter.

4. oneshot

oneshot Newbie

Sorry i wasn't clear enough

I should have stated that I know the battery and starter are good. I was hoping that this might be a common problem that someone more knowledgeable than I might recognize.

Could someone please provide a link to a good guide for tuning the carburetor. I have been unable to find one and I don't want to screw it up even more than it is.

As far as searching the forum for where my particular problem is discussed, I did and couldn't find anything similar. If such a posting does exist I apologize.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Try This.

starter trigger probable isnt getting good voltage to the starte. That issue has been discussed before, search for it.

Get your foot off the gas when starting an it probably wont smell like unburned fuel when it comes one

6. oneshot

oneshot Newbie

Thank you for the advice I will search for starter trigger problems.

I don't hold the pedal down while starting. I depress it, release it, then start it. This seems to be the only way I can get it to start cold. When its already warm I just turn the key... no gas pedal.

7. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Make sure all of your grounds/connections are solid and clean...

New starter won't work right without proper power to it :)

8. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    ^^^^ true.
    before u start tearing sh!t apart, check connections/connectors, powers, grounds. GROUNDS!!! sometimes a good clean surface is all thats needed