Sr5 cluster swap fuel gauge issue.

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by HGSR, Aug 22, 2013.

1. HGSR

HGSR Newbie

Truck:
    1985 standard cab short bed base model.
    I got a "deal" on a sr5 cluster, I may have bought a junker.. Anyway I just installed it and the fuel gauge started to move made it mostly the the half full mark and fell back to empty. According to the base model gauge it was just under half full, and its seemed right since I have owned the truck. I do not have the oil pressure gauge hooked up yet as ill get my sending unit tomorrow. Does that have anything to do with the ground circuit in the cluster to cause a fuel gauge issue?

2. HGSR

HGSR Newbie

Truck:
    This morning after settin all night, I started it an the temp hand went right to mid way of the temp gauge like the truck was at operating temp. Looks like I was sold a pos cluster...

3. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Snap a pic of what you have and which brand of cluster it is. I have an old parts cluster that may have some pieces that will work in it if interested.

22R88

4. HGSR

HGSR Newbie

Truck:
    Thanks. Ill do that later today

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    my temp gauge does the same thing, after about 2min of running it will drop then go up and be accurate. i think the SR5 temp sender is different but ive never gotten around to checking pt#'s

every other gauge works fine on mine cept the tach which does work but is a lil jumpy.

6. HGSR

HGSR Newbie

Truck:
    About the time I took this pic i realized the temp had had went down. It's running now to see if it actually works. If you watch the fuel hand close you see it move up and down a slight amount. I only live 2 tenths of a mile from work so warm up does not happen.

Here is my cluster

[​IMG]

7. HGSR

HGSR Newbie

Truck:
    Let it run for 20 min. Temp hand was in the middle and the fuel gauge read 1/4 tank. It had fallen to E by the time I made it back to work. Maybe something is loose on the backside of this cluster....

8. BaggedYota90

BaggedYota90 Member

Truck:
    1987 4Runner
    I have owned a few 84-88 Toyota's and never ever did the temp work right, it was either cold or mid temp and had one that did not read when it was overheating. Not sure on the fuel gauge, all mine worked. One thing though is these clusters aren't always plug in play, had to repin the one I have now.

9. FLIPS

FLIPS Newbie

this is super common if you take your cluster out the screws on the back of the cluster are what acts as the ground most of the time over the years they have become loose and are sending false readings here is a write up on the problem if you care to read it. 87 4runner 22re Temp Gauge fix, finally! - YotaTech Forums