Speedometer Recalibration

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Mayhem Industriez, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Mayhem Industriez

Mayhem Industriez Member

Truck:
    91 single cab
    Hey guys the other day I noticed that my speedo is 5 mph off. I have nothing done to my truck, it is 100% completely stock with 195/75/14 tires. How can I put the speedo to the correct speed? Thanks

2. Mayhem Industriez

Mayhem Industriez Member

Truck:
    91 single cab
    Whoops this is suppose to be in the 89-95 interior section

3. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    91 V6 SR5 Xtracab, 87 22RE 4x4, 73 HiLux 18R SR5
    Speedos are never 100% accurate. Being out 5mph could be a combination of being slightly out from factory and/or worn tires. It could also be caused by the tranny or rearend being swapped out resulting in different gearing. The only way to recalibrate it is to bring it in and they can change a gear in the trans to adjust it.

4. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    where can u get thise gear. do they have aftermarket ones to fix all of our mods ?

5. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    Any tranny shop should be able to help you out.

6. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    almost all cars ive had are 2-5mph slow according to my gps, i thought it was supposed to be like that

7. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    I think it is supposed to be like that... Every car I've had my GPS in is like that even brand new cars... Only time my speedo has been right is after I changed the tires and it just happened to "correct" the speedo...

I am pretty sure it's a liability thing... You might blame your ticket or crash on the car manufacturer because you thought you were doing 55 but the car was actually doing 57 so it's Toyotas fault not mine! Right?!

So they set them under to cover tire size change and any variation in the displayed speed versus actual...

8. StupidSheet

StupidSheet Addict

Truck:
    Ya you would think they would always set them to show them running a bit faster than you actually are so you aren't going around speeding everywhere.

FYI: GPS's aren't 100% accurate either but are usually very close.

9. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)

Not sure what anyone else meant but mine have all said I was going faster than I actually was...

My 08 fj cruiser is 2-3mph faster than actual and my 06 gto is about 2 faster than actual
    my 93 toy is about 4-5 faster than actual... funny thing is with that is it matches the original... I changed tire size but I also have a 4wd cluster in my 2wd... so I think the bigger tires matched with the 4wd settings made it work about the same as the stock small tires and the 2wd settings...
    my 91 4wd was a few off as cops always said their radar said I was going slower than I thought I was... LOL!
    my 87 4wd turbo was also about 3-4 for faster than actual

only time I ever saw one say slower than I was going was when I was running 32 inch tires on my 85 4wd... cop pulled me over doing 55 in a 30 and my speedo said 50... I tried to play stupid that I thought I was going slower because of the tires... he didn't buy it... one of the few times I didn't talk my way out of it! :rolleyes:

10. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    you do know that your gps will not always give you an accurate speed reading. If you were driving completely flat street with no grade up or down it would work. But since a lot of roads have a grade or when your on hill the gps does not know that you are moving up or down which will make you look like you are going slower then you really are.

11. jjsjjsva

jjsjjsva Newbie

Easy fix

If yours was like mine and off 5 mph at all speeds it is due to speedo needle miss adjusted. Mine was 5 mph off for 15 years and when stopped the needle would rest on the 5 mph 'dash' as there is no 'zero' mph mark. Easy fix.

I removed the instrument cluster, removed clear cover to access the dial needles (unscrews), and I manually with my fingers gently turn the speedo needle to see if it could be adjusted downward. YES it did.

I adjusted it until it rested about the same distance below the last "mark' as that mark was from the 10 mph mark above it. Guessing where zero should be.

Installed the cluster temporarily with the clear cover off so I could test drive it to see how close I got it to the right speed. I drove next to cars with digital gauges I can see through their windows to read their speed. I found a few police radar speed trailers they set on the side of a road to warn you of your speed. Ran past those many times at varires speeds 25,35, 45,55, 65 to check accuracy.

Made a few more speedo needle adjustments, gently, and got it dead on. Reinstalled everything and been good to go.

No need for any garage of new speedo gear drive. It's just a factory assembly bad adjustment.

12. jjsjjsva

jjsjjsva Newbie

Easy fix by turning down speedo needle