South Florida 1994 Yota Standard Cab build

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by jblaust, Feb 1, 2016.

1. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    If you remove the dust cover will the center cap clear the spindle?

2. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    1994 Pickup Standard Cab Base 22RE Manual
    Yes

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    So put the dust cap back on and smack that bitch with a hammer till the center cap clears. :lol:

twizted1 likes this.
  4. Lil_Lola

Lil_Lola Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 single cab
    Damn looks good I like the fitment

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:

I was thinking that or find a shorter dust cap. :verdict_in: Once I get a tire I will get serious about what needs to be done.

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    You won't find a shorter dust cap. If you need to go a bit shorter than the spindle will allow there is more than enough meat on the tip to give it a trim.

7. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    I got a cheap 215/40/16 mounted up today. I test fitted the front driver rim. This is where Im at with this. The front rim touches the lower control arm when it has a load on it. I scratched the shit out of the back side of the rim and found this out the hard way when I tried to move the truck. Im gonna need the spacers or trim the edge of the lower control arm to just clear enough. Maybe both. I will have to do the same in the back for the lower Ubolt plate. Here are some pics of how she was sitting. If the rim didn't have such a deep back spacing, everything would clear nicely. Gonna have to revisit this after I get the header installed. One thing at a time. I have a couple of other little projects Im working on for the truck also.

Im also thinking 225/40/16 might be a better tire size

XXR Rim 16x8

[​IMG]

Klutch Rim 16x9 No center cap..I need to "modify" :verdict_in: the dust cap so it will clear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just stagger the sizes. Get a 16x8 up front and a 9" in the back.

9. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:

Yeah that is always an option too. I really want to squeeze those 9's on. Im waiting on the spacers and gonna see what can be done.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Gotta play with offset #s

11. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    They come 16x9 17mm and 16x8 15mm but I have to check the backspacing also. Thats the problem. The rim is very inset and touches the suspension.

12. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    According to this website willtheyfit.com the 16x8 will sit away from the control arm about .5 inch more than the 16x9's do now. Im gonna wait for the spacers and then make a decision. I may just go with the 16x8 to bypass some of the fitment issues without chopping up my truck.

[​IMG]

13. nottoshabi

nottoshabi Enthusiast

Sweet truck a lot useful information here.

jblaust likes this.
  14. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Flip the lower ballpoint back under and you'll gain some clearance there.

I ground the hell out of my lower control arms, strut bars and upper a arms all to clear my 5" backspaced 15x8's :lol:

A simple 1/4" spacer from the auto parts store will give you more clearance than you think. I ran one and my wheels cleared perfectly with them.

jblaust likes this.
  15. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    Yeah I feel you. These are 5 inch back spaced also. Gonna try the spacers and grind down some edges and figure it out from there. This is why I took a chance and only bought one rim. I knew there would be some fitment issues.

16. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    So this is where I am at now making these rims fit properly. I test fitted the rim on the front again this time with a 10mm spacer (really (2) 5mm spacers stacked). With the spacer in place the dust cap now clears the center of the wheel and I can fit the center cap on properly. The lower control arm also now clears the back of the rim when turned all the way left or all the way right. The new problem is the studs are not long enough for me to grab enough threads to mount the wheel safely. So I can now either put extended studs and run 10mm spacers just enough to clear. Or I can purchase billet 15mm spacers that bolt to the existing studs and have new studs to mount the rims on and I can use my same lug nut locks that I was using with my previous rims. I had to run up to the store to get some different lug nuts that taper down more just to grab the few threads I could to set the truck down on the wheel to inspect the fitment. I didn't feel comfortable driving on it like that.

This is how she sat with a 10mm spacer on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still just tucks in the wheel well even with the spacer. Almost perfect fitment.

[​IMG]

This was my problem area where the bottom corner of the control arm would just touch the rim when fully turned. It ate up the control arm and the rim on the edge the first time I fitted it and found out the hard way. :brickknock: In the picture the wheel is fully turned to the right and it clears the rim now with the spacer. I can also notch the control arm for extra clearance and I will probably have to do the same in the rear to the corners of the Ubolt plates. I haven't tried the spacers in the back yet, but I am pretty sure I will be ok back there too. The front was more of an immediate issue because it was touching and the center cap wouldn't fit. The back is just very close to touching but everything stays in place back there so I think it will be ok especially with a spacer in place.

[​IMG]

So I am leaning towards 15mm billet spacers which is just over 1/2 inch spacers in the front, But i want billet spacers with extended studs like the ones in the picture here. My question is do you guys think the existing stud with the half nut will clear the rim mounted to the new studs on the spacers?

[​IMG]

In the back I am thinking of running 5mm spacers like the ones pictured here so I can still use my lug nuts and original studs. Or should I buy matching 15mm billet spacers for the back as well to keep everything the same? I want to hear your opinions on this if you have one. I will probably also grind down the edges of the problem spots for extra clearance. Still waiting to see good fitment before I order the rest of the rims.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  17. REDZ

REDZ Enthusiast

i have used the billet set befor on my mini but i didnt trust them

18. jblaust

jblaust Veteran

Truck:
    I think the best thing to do here is use the regular spacers and install the extended studs. Its just so much more work to go that route.

19. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I run 1" out back and 1 1/2" front spacers on my autocross truck with zero issue. Clean the threads on the stock studs and use blue loctite when you torque the nuts and don't worry about it.

jblaust likes this.
  20. 92socalmini

92socalmini Newbie

Hey man I have had my eyes on these wheels for quite a while I'm glad someone tried them on our trucks. I came across a sweet deal for a set of 16x8s of these. Do you think they would sit flush? I currently have a quarter inch spacer up front with extended studs (headache of their own hahaha) so I don't think any fitment issues will come about.