Soooo confused!!! Please help!!

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by mfouts, Aug 24, 2010.

1. mfouts

mfouts Member

Truck:
    1967 Toyota Stout
    I have a 67 toyota stout, i just changed out the fuse block.. it went sooo smooth it was awesome!!.. NOW, i am wiring up new taillights.. I had a small fire stock ones got burned all to crap.. so i got some LED ones from Northern if you guys all know what that place is.. anyway, its a quick easy fix, so i thot!.. When i wired it up, i have brake lights, i have tail lights and i have blinkers.. but i have 3 wires from my truck.. one tail, one brake and one blinker.. makes sense right.. and the LED's have 3 wires. one GROUND, one tail/signal and one brake.. or whatever it is.. so i understand i have to run two wires to the one lead to make it work.. what i dont FREAKIN GET!!! is how come if i do it one way.. the flash indicators on my dash come on everytime i press the god damn brake!!! OOORRRRR.. if i switch it around, the tail lights either stay bright like the brake is on.. or when the brake is pushed the blinkers dont blink at all?? I AM SOO FREAKIN CONFUSED!!! i did just get a new flasher for the blinkers and i jus read that i need an electronic flasher?? idk.. also im thinkin maybe the brake swith is out or there is a relay or some **** for it?? i need soome serious help before i go nuts! please any input wud be great, preferrably from someone that knows lol

Thanks guys!!

2. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    Well I can't say that I know as I have never worked on a 67. But with my truck the blinkers blink faster if one of them is messed up. I think Toyota wired it all together like that so that it is easy to notice a problem. I suggest checking everything on the same wiring harness as your tailights are on. If that helps at all.
    And using LED lights sounds like a pain. I tried to put in a LED dome light bulb and it didn't work at all. So I haven't figured out how to install LED lights yet either I guess. I think it may require some soldering and/or a resistor?

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    the stouts E system is as basic as you can get.

so when you combine the 2 wires and light one, it will light up the other wire/ circut all the way back to the switch. does that make sence?

on my LED's for my wheeler i have 3 wires too. 1 ground, 1 running light (dim) and one brake/blinker. but mine came with a "controller pod thingy" that basically hooks up like a trailer. so it converts the separate brake and blinker wire into 1.

i looked but i dont have a decent pic of the thing, and cant remember if there is even a brand on it.

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    ^ I Frikin miss this guy, i seriously cry whenever he returns.

SideQuestion, did you get resistor's for the blinkers so they don't go "buzzzzz" and not blink?

5. mfouts

mfouts Member

Truck:
    1967 Toyota Stout
    I didnt get n e kind of pod thingy.. but no i am wondering if i should find one, i never thot about the LED's being harder to use and i should know better.. and now i got em all hooked up and i cant return em!! Oh well, i will try to make it work some how.. thanks!!

6. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    this has caused me to look into what "came with the body" and its actually a trailer light setup, with some cheap LED round tails ($14ea) and a submersible 3 to 2 wire adapter.

what i have wires up like this one but is more "waterproof" looking

http://www.hitchsource.com/to-wire-powered-converter-amp-p-27168.html

cinnamon-

thanks i think, not much time for forums these days.

and your blinker is nothing like this setup. your switch is bad, hold it all the way and noise goes away, or get a new one. i learned that from reading $hit here...

7. mfouts

mfouts Member

Truck:
    1967 Toyota Stout
    Well i got a new electronic flasher and a convertor for the lights.. everything seems to work pretty good.. the only think i cant figure out now is why when i turn on the L blinker 2 of the right blinker lights flash and vice versa!!! uggggggggg!!

8. 71hilux

71hilux Member

Truck:
    71 Electric Hilux 4 speed
    You may already know this but the since the brake lights and blinkers share the same bulb element, the brake lights also go thru the blinker switch. That is what allows one light too flash even though the brake pedal is pressed. The wires to the blinker switch may be mixed up.