Some tips on dropping transmission

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by aseq, May 22, 2013.

1. aseq

aseq Member

Truck:
    87 2wd, Carb, Longbed xtra cab
    I am taking my time replacing the clutch, flywheel (got a 12 lbs one), rear seal and perhaps the transmission seal. So far I have managed to actually separate the transmission from the engine, it's chained to a transmission adapter bolted to a floor jack. So I basically only have to lower it to get it from undder the car.

However I ran into some issue where I can not move it back far enough, the bell housing kinda hits against the firewall, neither can I turn it or move it any other way in order to free it from the truck. The part of the frame that holds the torsion bars is a bit in the way.

Is there some trick to lowering it? Would I have to remove the bell housing? From what I can see the bolts for that are inside the housing or am I wrong? Anyways, the manuals don't speak of removing it.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    No, the bellhousing can stay.

Obviously you have removed the driveshaft. (and your shifter too,right?)

Take the starter, and slave cylinder off too.

Drop the trans x member, and by lowering the jack, the trans/engine should begin to point downwards. Eventually it will stop, then use a pry bar in between the bellhousing and block...it'll be ok. Rock it side to side..you're trying to get the input shaft free from the clutch, and the pilot bearing bore.

Once it decides to come out, it gets heavy, but these trannys are fairly 1 person job-ish.

3. aseq

aseq Member

Truck:
    I have removed all the other things such as starter, slave cylinder and cross member. I also used some prying tools to separate the bellhousing from the block and it's actually free from the block right now.

I am a bit stuck at this stage, how to actually lower the transmission. The jack adapter has a lever you can turn so you can tilt the transmission, however I can't imagine I'd have to tilt it a lot so it would point about 45 degrees down to get it out?

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    You no when I do clutches on toyotas I slide the tranny back far enough to access the pressure plate bolts on the bottom of the flywheel I loosen those then use a wrench on the crank pully turn the motor and loosen the other pressure plate bolts remove pressure plate clutch pop new plate and clutch disk up there stick anligment tool in tighten the bottom pressure bolts a bit turn motor tighten a little more till there all tight remove aligment tool slide tranny back up done .. ........takes no time flat transmission never touches the ground if your arms skinny enough you can get to the throw out bearing as well

5. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    I don't understand whats holding it up there if you've separated it from the block and dropped the cross member.The d!ck is the last thing holding it in there.I think you gotta lower the drive shaft side down first and wiggle it out.But if you lower it too much the spline will bind.Me I get the truck up nice and high and lay down right underneath the trans and cradle it with my hands and feet and just wiggle the sh!t out of it.(if I'm by myself).I'm too big to do it scrub88 style.wish I wasn't that sh!t sucks.

6. Under Construction '93

Under Construction '93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    I did the same on mine. No trouble at all. just muscled it out, put it on my chest, and slid out from under tranny and all. :D

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Separate the exhaust from the manifold or header and the trans will drop far enough to clear the firewall.

8. aseq

aseq Member

Truck:
    It's a 2wd, the crossmember as far as I can see is just the tube under the transmission bolted to the frame with 2 bolts on each side, it's easy to remove.

What is keeping the transmission from going down is the part of the frame where the transmission mount bracket was bolted too. That same frame (which can't be removed it appears) part also holds the torsion bars. It prevents the back side of the transmission to be lowered.

I also need to replace the flywheel and rear seal so unbolting the pressure plate as described isn't enough.

Now what I tried to do is move the transmission far enough backwards so I can sort of lower it front first, however the firewall seems to kind of block it from moving far enough, it blocks the bellhouse. I must be missing something obvious...

9. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    Your truck isn't body dropped or anything?? Cuz I've never had a problem like you describe.

10. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Ok can you take a pic.There is a mounting bracket with a rubber bushing that holds the trans to the cross member 4 size 14's I think.You can remove the bolts from the trans side or the bracket side and push it over till it clears the bracket then it can drop.Maybe you have to push the trans back into the block first then pull out the rear.

11. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Tilt the transmission's top 45* towards the driver's side.

12. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
  13. aseq

aseq Member

Truck:
    Thanks all for some helpful advice. I did have to turn the thing 45 degrees, as suggested above and in the manual. I was being dense though and thought it meant to turn it leaving the upside facing up, however I had to turn it around its "axle". Once I did that I could drop it by applying a combination of using the jack and wrestling with it as well :-D

No need to remove the exhaust itself. It was a tight fit though and I'll have to see how to get it up there, maybe I'll just use my hands, chest and legs. ;-)

14. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I consider myself a small dude. 5'8" 160lbs. I usually use a floor jack to hold the tail end of the trans, remove the bolts and crossmembers and all that, then just slide it back and bear hug it out like some other people said. They only weigh about 120 lbs, so if you go carefully you can do it. Putting it back in isnt too much tougher. Hardest part will be lining it up while you shove the trans into the motor. It has to align and mesh the input shaft and the last bit the pilot bearing and the dowel pins have to line up. But it sounds like the worst is over.

15. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    X2 ^^ when your under there hulking out on it don't force take your time a small floor jack can aid you in holding it up why you switch your hands .. Toyota shoulda maid the crossmember unbolt

16. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    They did on 4WDs!

17. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yup they did . No love for the 2wd guys ...

18. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    I guess not on 79-95 frames. My trans crossmember unbolts with 12 bolts. 6 on each side. :D

19. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Huh I figured the crossmember was removable... Guess I'll be modifying mine when I swap in my w58 so service is easier. The crossmember on my 78 came right out. :D

20. aseq

aseq Member

Truck:
    Perhaps the crossmember is non removable because it uses torsion bars? Although the 4wd of the same generations uses torsion bars as well as far as I know. I used to have a 77 2wd longbed which had spring suspension (or whatever the right term is).

I have to admit the jack adapter didn't help that much to get it out and it even seemed to prevent quick removal. It mostly just helped preventing the transmission from crushing my arms once it came out and it looked more like a wrestle between me, the transmission and the jack, I won... :-D Eventually the jack even fell over, sillyness.

Soon I will install a new clutch, lighter (12 lbs) flywheel and rear main seal. SD YOTA's experience with a lighter flywheel made me decide to try it out as well. I'll see how that's going to turn out, might be interesting.