Solid or vented Rotors

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Elhuaraches, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    what is a better set up for my 84 4x4 vented or solid rotors? i currently have solid rotors but when i was looking on rock auto they have a selection for vented rotors too but im not sure witch is better since i daily my truck and occasionally go offroading

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    76ish fj40 rotors and either 86-92 4 cylinder or 88-95 V6 calipers. Either caliper will bolt on in place of the stockers but the V6 calipers will require a larger master cylinder. An 86-87 turbo brake booster will work perfectly with a 92ish V6 1" master cylinder in tune with the larger V6 calipers.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Id say vented to dissipate heat better

4. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    As above!:cool:

5. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    came across a couple things on marlin crawler site related to brakes. so i think ill end up goind with vented. what i noticed from the site was v6 model later generation calipers as an upgrade. so im thinking on doing that

white trash so if upgrading to v6 calipers i will also be required to upgrade the brake master cylinder if i read correctly?

6. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Yes you'll have to upgrade the master and I highly recommend going to the turbo booster and swapping in braided brake lines at the same time. If you want to finish it off nicely swap in a complete rear axle from an 86-95 truck. It has larger drums and wheel cylinders which couple with the larger V6 parts perfectly. I was running the setup I've described and I could lock up my 38" tires at 3 psi on dry pavement no problem. They were still great when I was running 42's but I couldn't lock them up but it stopped well enough.

7. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    I have a the Centric C-Tek Drilled/Slotted rotors and there pads on my 86 and I love them!!

8. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Both drilled and slotted rotors are old school tech for old school pads.
    The new tech pads don't rely on holes for off gas venting or slots for "wiping" the pad face.

While vented rotors will "cool" faster, they will also heat up faster due to the lower mass from the removed material, so brake fade won't be improved, only worsened. The holes also create stress points where under heat and load cracks can begin, possibly causing rotor failure.

9. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    what do you mean by going to the turbo booster?

yes i did read somewhere perhaps wiki that the later model v6 models came with a stronger rear axel so cool good to know the parts are interchangeable

10. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

Turbo model brake vacuum booster from 86 or 87.

The later IFS era axles are the same strength for the most part but the brakes are a good bit larger and it is 3" wider overall than the solid axle era trucks were equipped with. The V6 models do have a stronger 3rd member due to a couple extra ribs and a thicker casting. The bearings are pretty close in size with the V6 version being a bit larger.

11. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    with a v6 axel will i have to modify the front axels gear ratios or is that something one shouldn't worry about?