Socal?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Snippo, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Snippo

Snippo Newbie

Hey everyone im new to this forum, just had a newb question...
    are there any shops in socal that i can go to to lower my 1982 toyota pickup?
    Also any shops in socal that do engine mods and installs/tuning?
    :confused:confused:

2. yota4life

yota4life Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1991 xcab 2wd 4cyl
    if you lower it yourself it would probably save you some cash

3. Toyo Trucker

Toyo Trucker Addict

StreetImage.:waytogo:

They just moved into the old DUB Magazine warehouse in Punte Hills.

4. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    I gotta second that... As an avid do-it-yourselfer (at least when it comes to trucks), I can tell you that it is worth it not only for the money you will save but also for the satisfaction you will feel if you complete the job yourself. Using advice from members of this forum and basic tools, you should be able to do everything you need to do your self as far as basic suspension mods and tuning.:waytogo:

5. Snippo

Snippo Newbie

:)

ok thanks guys, just nervous about doing it myself. ahahaha
    but i guess i can try to add the engine mods myself. the lowering i would rather have a professional do it.

:clapping: thanks fellas

6. RenoG

RenoG Member

Curious, is it something one person can do? Is a truck like totaly different than a car? I lowered a 95 Acura Legend coupe by myself, is the truck a different beast.

7. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux

the legend had struts right?

i would say it's easier. all you have to do is loosen the torsion bolts until you achieve the desired drop, and install a set of blocks in the rear.

easily done by one guy in under 1 1/2 hours.

8. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    It can be done with one person for sure. There are a few items that it helps a lot to have for most projects:

*2 Jackstands
    *1 Jack, this can be hydraulic or screw type, either a scissor or the stock style toyota screw jacks work fine.
    *A set of wrenchs. If you have a full set of wrenchs you can do just about anything on a truck (although sometimes you need 2 of the same one to hold the nut while you are turning the bolt). You can always get a wrench on it (for the most part) but you cannot always use a socket, so get a set of wrenchs first.
    *A good socket set will speed things up a lot. A set of wrenchs will get the job done, but a ratchet makes it a hell of a lot easier on yourself. It will help a lot on the u-bolts if you have a deep socket for those nuts. Soak the ubolts with penetrating lube really good.
    *A torque wrench will be very helpful especially until you get a feel for how tight to tighten bolts.
    *Basics:
    Screwdrivers, Allen wrenches, Wirecutters, A good pair of locking pliers (if you can afford it buy vice grips), Adjustable wrench (again if the budget allows buy something decent like)...

That basically sums it up. There are some other things you will probably find you will want eventually, like a timing light is super handy if you want to get into tuning you're going to want one. As for your first lowering job (which you can do yourself), if you can't get all the tools listed together for this job that is fine. Jackstands are nice but a good solid block of wood works fine too. There is no special magical mystery about working on trucks (at least not the era of trucks that I work on).:waytogo: