smogging sucks: computer issues

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by yoterroller, Feb 4, 2011.

1. yoterroller

yoterroller Newbie

Truck:
    '88 4x4
    i have an '88 22re. when i tried to smog the shop said something about "the computer wouldn't go offline in order to let him check the timing" (wtf?) i dont know what that means in the slightest. aside from that it failed it's HC's.

i bought it in Arizona where it passed fine but failed in California. even though it was tested under federal regs.
    any ideas about this computer thing is about?

2. dOBER

dOBER Member

The smog machine goes online like your computer to communicate with state system to look up specs for each engine configuration like stock timing 22R, 22RE-C, 22-RTE.

Quick n dirty way to pass CA is drop a can of denatured alcohol in the tank when it's close to empty (less than a 1/4 tank)
    run the engine HOT right before the smog.

My buddy's 16G turbo'd DSM passed this way w no cat

3. LOW 3ILLZ

LOW 3ILLZ Newbie

Truck:
    85'STD CAB,SLAMMED
    Either pay to get smogged illegaly . Done deal or change trucks computer simple ,,but if it runs fine just find a crooked smog shop

4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    uh...sounds like the guy didnt know how to put the jumper in the socket in the engine bay to do take the ECM out of the timing loop. that or when he is jumpering it, the emc is not going to base timing.

5. yoterroller

yoterroller Newbie

Truck:
    '88 4x4
    thanks for the computer info. i'm all about the alcohol trick. i just don't understand why it did fine in AZ and not here but it is california and all.. crooked shops are getting hard to find these days. as for stroking a furry wall...

6. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    There are no smog laws in az, just a safty inspection if I remember correctally. Just find someone in your area who will let you swap computers while you smog. To me it sounds like you went to a stupid smog shop. Call a few service shops and ask who they reccomend. I've never heard of one of these trucks failing for the reason your smog place gave.

7. dOBER

dOBER Member

CA air board is complex
    Partly run by AUTO industry, their agenda is to get people to keep buying NEW cars marketed as "greener".
    BUT if older trusty cars continue to stick around (like our Toyota's) people don't have any reason to buy new.

SO why not force all cars after 1976 to be tested every 2 years. The idea is to eventually eliminate all the older worn out cars with cheaper plastic chits u can't even work on - if u can't work on it, u throw it away - that's what they want.

I came from a diff background. U don't throw it away. Starving people in China. whatever.
    I understand that mass producing newer crap pollutes the earth more than whatever lil amount of pollution my car spits out. More cars are bought, the more the freeways are packed (L.A. can eat a dick) the more pollution we spit out.

Catalytic converters are a bunch of bullchit. In the 70's people were ending their lives with Carbon monoxide poisoning i.e running them in the garage til they fell asleep either by accident or on purpose cuz life just sucked.

Insurance companies saw this and didn't like it. hey lets mandate really expensive cats to be installed on all cars. That way we protect out profits and the air is cleaner.

Bull**** - I'm not going to buy a new car. I like my truck - it's got steel bumpers back when the dollar was stronger, not plastic.

Gas prices shoot up, that's fine, I'll drive it less ride my bike more. Give myself some time to work out some projects out of it. I refuse to buy a new car period.

8. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    so your just going to keep fixing your truck till you cant fix it anymore ? If so, or you total it, what will you replace it with ?? you dont have to buy a new car just because its "Green" or whatever, just get it cuz you like it ?

9. yoterroller

yoterroller Newbie

Truck:
    '88 4x4
    AZ only has smog laws in the highly populated areas. this truck was in tucson. i found a shop through a friend that at least will pinpoint what is wrong and tell me to fix that before they smog it rather than be dicks about it like the first.

10. mightymouse

mightymouse Enthusiast

Truck:
    1990 4x4,1991 2wd, 1984 sr5 4x4
    this. go to another smog shop and make damn sure they explain why and how the computer didn't work. Just sounds like you got a tech that was uneducated when concerned with obd1 systems. Second opinion and them providing a solution when the "computer" doesn't work. That's a cop out answer when some one doesn't know what the **** they are talkng about.

11. jetrinka

jetrinka Newbie

Truck:
    1986 Standard Cab - 4x2 - 22R - 5speed
    ^^^I second this.

12. yoterroller

yoterroller Newbie

Truck:
    '88 4x4
    im into this idea

13. OldSchool84DevilLux

OldSchool84DevilLux Enthusiast

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Sr5 PU Xtra Cab(Hilux)
    If he was smart he would of check mitchell ondemand or alldata program and found the timing loop connector to jumper what a dumbass test only smog tech lol