Smog Failed

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 90yotaTruckin, Oct 22, 2012.

1. 90yotaTruckin

90yotaTruckin Newbie

Hello forum,
    This is my first post. So far i really am liking the site.

Anyways a little history, I just bought a 90' toyota pickup 22re 4cyl 2wd. I went to get it smogged today after swapping out the old radiator that caused it to overheat a bit.
    PASSED Visual inspection, failed function check. And heres my emissions:

Anyways here are my readings,
    15MPH HC MAX:95 MEAS:237
    CO MAX: 0.61 MEAS:2.70
    NO MAX: 740 MEAS 303

25MPH HC MAX:81 MEAS: 232
    CO MAX 0.76 MEAS: 2.78
    NO MAX: 642 MEAS: 268

Any ideas would be appreciated.. my friend said it might be a sensor, "the one near the air filter" as he put it. Other than that i would like some suggestions that are a little more concrete... haha.

Thanks all.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  2. 90yotaTruckin

90yotaTruckin Newbie

Bump,

So I adjusted the idle it was a bit high and i think that was part of it, my timing is good at 5.

3. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    probably running a tad rich. Hard to adjust reliably. If you've got a cat. converter, go for a nice 30+ minute drive on the freeway before getting the truck tested to warm it up.

If your friends underhood knowledge involves a sensor "the one near the air filter" you might want to find a more reliable mechanic.

4. 90yotaTruckin

90yotaTruckin Newbie

My first smog test, i ran on the freeway for about 15 mins then rolled up hot and got right in to the smog place. Ill try running longer next time.

Code:
    If your friends underhood knowledge involves a sensor "the one near the air filter" you might want to find a more reliable mechanic.
    Haha, yeah he knows his stuff well, just is bad with english... so sometimes we have a bit of a language barrier when he try to tell me what i need to do.

I figure out what he was talking about, the MAF Sensor. I pulled it out as well as the throttle sensor, im going to give them a good cleaning and pray i pass... If that doesn't work i may have to replace them. My last resort is replacing the cat.

Do you guys think that it would be better off replacing sensors first or just got straight for the cat? also I found a way to test to see if the MAF is malfunctioning, but not one for the throttle sensor. Anyone have a link?

5. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    Both the TPS and AFM (what you're calling the MAF) don't fail by parts. Either they're there or they aren't and you KNOW it.

Never replace a sensor that you haven't PROPERLY tested and it failed.

Cat would definitely be an idea, it IS 20 years old and probably has had at least oil passed through it. 15 minutes on the freeway ought to warm it up enough. something I've heard of also is with everything warmed up, pull one of the spark plug wires (and ground it to the head, block, whatever so you don't get zapped) causing a dead miss. still have fuel going through which will light off in the exhaust and on the cat (hence needing to do it hot) which can sometimes burn off carbon on the cat, if it's there, and give an extra 2% to pass emissions one last time. I've heard anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute. depends on engine, cat, exhaust, etc. I couldn't tell you much more than that and I take no responsibility for what you do to your truck including fire and explosions..

6. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    Can you post what you O2 readings were. If your O2 is low you are running rich, if your O2 is normal your cat is dead or not warmed up for the smog.

edit: its on the smog sheet, i dont mean the O2 sensor readings.

7. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    i too have to do a smog check...but check engine light is on

8. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Like said above ,also change new plugs ,rotor ,cap & wires if haven't been changed in long time! Should also change the oil !
    If the truck over heated,you may want to have the coolant read for hydro carbons ( bad head gasket if present)!:cool:

9. 90yotaTruckin

90yotaTruckin Newbie

thanks for all the responses. I manged to pass once i replaced these two. I think i only needed to replace the throttle sensor.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

I was surprised i didn't need to replace my cat just yet!

King taco did you check your codes on the check engine light yet?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  10. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    not yet man...gonna do it saturday on my day off...it comes on n off

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012