short throw shifters...

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by SD YOTA, Jan 1, 2009.

1. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    does anyone other than LCEngineering make em for our 2wd tranny? im sure LC's is a nice peice but for 200 bux, im willing to try another approach to getting the same results.

anyone done their own short throw modification? im about to do so myself, just thought id check in and ask.

2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    i just cut my stock one..right below threads..if i was going to do more might bend it back just alittle more..let us know what u do...

3. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Frinzo, hows the shift feel?

4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    hmm..best way for me to describe it is, a bit more solid?? to me it made it alittle better but not to much, as im driving my turbo truck with the stock one, best thing i would say is go to the junkyard and find another one and cut it, if u dont like it just put the stock one back in it..the one thing i would recommend tho is getting a new bushing that sits around the shifter, i dont remember the part #, but its like 10 bucks at the the stealer..

well thinking about it more, i would bend it back and little bit more towards the drivers seat..for me that would be more relaxed instead of stretchin out for 5th gear..

5. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i have somethin brewing so ill keep you guys posted.

6. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    old school celica short shifter ftwwww.. to be honest i actualy liked my long shifter better cuz im a pretty big guy in this small azz truck

7. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i am too but i hate having to "kinda" stretch out for 5th. it'd be nice.

i generally know how most companies make these have a shorter throw... its just experimenting and seeing how much leverage to toss in.

im researching on the 5 speed shifter, the 4 speed shifter, early tacoma shifter, and current x-runner/6 speed shifter. i already have my hands on the 6 speed shifter from an x-runner tacoma. should have a 5 speed shifter from a 04 and older tacoma this weekend, and ill get the 4 and 5 speed pickup shifters this weekend as well.

another thing i will look into is doing a dog-leg modification for a slightly more roomy 1st gear position... :D

honestly, if the short throw shifter from LCE was more around the low $100 mark...... maaaaaybe even as far as $130 i would just buy one but, for the $196 they are asking for theirs, i'd rather do some work myself...... and share the results.

chopping off the top of the shifter is kinda hack (IMHO). i'd rather do a bit more work and get the "true" results of what a short throw shifter should be.

8. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Hey guys, I know you probably know this, but a short shifter isn't physically shorter, on either end. The LCengineering kit includes a spacer to facilitate the additional length on the lower end of the shifter below the bearing. That added length "shortens" the distance that you have to move the top end of the shifter to move through the gears.

Granted, cutting the shifter will do roughly the same, but at the expense of reach. I know of a few guys who have cut their short shifters to get both results.

9. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    litneon. im aware of what they do to the pivot ball end of the shifter. currently researching what out of all these shifters ill have is the longest between there or what, if anything will cross over, how far i should go and so forth....

should have some results here soon as i get the other shifter i need.... ill see if either i or a buddy of mine can mill out a spacer for the trans pivot housing.

generally they are lengthened anywhere from 1/2" to 1-1/4" depending on what is the popular desired throw.

10. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    Im telling you this celica shifter is short as hell man.. its also tilted back some.. with my stock bench seat I have to have the seat ALL the way back for it to barley shift into 2 4 and reverse....

11. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    V8 titan, i have heard of using the celica's shifter. Could u get some pics of it up?

12. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    ya, ill try to tomorrow.

13. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    damn dude, thats pretty far back! i wanna be able to have room and not hit my leg when im in 2nd. i will be measuring how far over i can have it and dog leg it too if need be..... ill make it where most of the shift takes palce within the area of 1st and 2nd :D

haha, probably not that short but close to it...

14. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    i have the LCE short shifter in my 92 and I love it. It is true about the spacer and all but it is almost a flick of the wrist now. I know the price is high but I trust it over and cut up stock shifter that could break. I think it is worth the $$$ but that is my .02 cents

15. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    is yours a solid shifter? im hitting up LCE and seeing what they want for their spacer to lift the ballcup housing, then modifying mine or another bend type.

here are the shifter's ive collected thus far. (( from left to right))

05+ Tacoma X-Runner 95.5-04 Tacoma 79-95 4spd pickup

[​IMG]