s10 alternator

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by xopher8713, May 28, 2014.

1. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    So the factory alternator in project parkinsons (get it.. cause it shakes... cause I can't figure out how to hook up my laptop to the carb :looney:) has gone out. I have heard something about converting the alternator from an s10 to work with the 20r but for the life of me I can't find anything on it. I have googled it and just can't find anything. Does anyone have a link to a write up or any insight on this?

2. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Dunno about the S10 alternator specifically, but I have a CS130 GM case alternator in mine, using a trail gear alternator bracket made for the swap. Its one of those alts with the two mount holes on opposite sides from each other (as opposed to the few S10 alternators I've seen, where they're not on opposite sides). Got me from 60 amps to 160 amps, so I'm happy with it. More headroom for boom.

3. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
  4. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
  5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I went with a GM 12SI billet cased from Quality Power,supplied me with a plug from Toyota to GM,100 AMP'S @ idle,160 @ speed!:cool:

6. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    Brackets have been ordered. I'm going to go with a alternator from AutoZone. A friend owes me a favor so it will be cheap. Later on though I'm going to look into a Mechman.

7. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    Thanks for the suggestion BTW

8. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    1986 Chevrolet C10 Alternator installed, will post pics soon.

9. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
  10. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Besides the obvious (alt and bracket) ... what kind of wiring changes have to be made?

Just cut off the stock plug and add a couple connections?

11. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    Oh God I have almost completely rewired my truck, but for the alternator its simple. I ran a 4 AWG cable from the alternator to the battery which is the black wire you see coming from the alternator. The alternator has a 2 pin harness one wire simply turns on the alternator which is the small red wire you see and that is "supposed" to be connected to a switched ignition, but I simply hooked it to the same post as the alternator wire. The other pin is a white wire (that I removed) is for the idiot light. You hook that wire to the light and the other side goes to switched ignition. But the way I have it set up I am charging at 14.8 Volts at idle. Then I followed the wiring from the alternator to the voltage regulator and removed it, clipped and taped off the three wires (one of which is the idiot light) going to the factory harness. I also removed the idiot light from the cluster. Prior to that I went through the wiring harness and made new grounds for everything. The factory ground is a white wire with a black stripe that runs through the harness. I simply disconnected all the white/black wires and grounded them to the chassis. Biggest improvement I have made to the truck.

Johnny thomas likes this.