Running very rich and no light on, engine runs great.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Wile E. Toyote, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Wile E. Toyote

Wile E. Toyote Newbie

Truck:
    1995 Shortbox Pickup
    My pickup, a 1995 2.4L 22RE, 2WD is burning so rich i can't stand stand to be around it while it idles. I am changing the oil every 1200-1500 miles because it smells like burnt exhaust...but the oil is clean. I am getting 22 mpg, it has new plugs, the cap and rotor, wires are good, it runs amazing as well.
    I also noticed a ticking noise (non metallic ticking) coming from under or behind the intake, where the EGR stuff is...no idea if it's related. I tried cleaning the throttle body, it would be easier if it would stay running with the air tube disconnected, i have to spray the throttle body then try to start it, it sucks.
    It runs fantastic and idles good, i cannot think of what it could be causing this. :runaway:

What i am curious about: :shrug:
    The engine dying when i remove the air pipe from the throttle body
    The ticking noise coming from around the EGR area, rear of the intake
    Could it be the O2 sensor without tripping the CEL ?
    Can a messed up EGR system cause it ?

Things i checked: :thinking:
    Plugs are new
    Cap and rotor are good
    Wires are good
    Vacuum lines all checked and found nothing disconnected, rotted, cracked, or loose

"Yes, i tried Google...and can't find anything directly related. And i find a lot of guessed by non Toyota owners about what their opinion is, and i have just been going crazy trying to figure it out trying to keep from looking to stupid on here since it's my first Toyota, after an exhausting internet session i finally decided to come ask actual Toyota owners for their opinion and hopefully be pointed in the right direction" :bow:

Thanks in advance. :bowdown:

2. loki

loki Newbie

There is a lot it could be. Seeing how this is an older post, I would like to know if you solved the problem before I start listing a check list.

3. Wile E. Toyote

Wile E. Toyote Newbie

Truck:
    1995 Shortbox Pickup
    Haven't had time to even look at it yet. I have been buying new parts, working on getting an entire box full.
    The timing chain just got bad so it's pretty much been parked.

I have a new timing chain, water pump, oil pump, oxygen sensor, thermostat, ECM temp sensor, Toyota red coolant, gasket sealer, Toyota FIPG, and an EGR delete kit from LCE. I am still waiting to get a new exhaust pipe with the oxygen sensor mount, catalytic converter (it was removed by the previous owner), timing cover, thermostat gasket, and some vacuum line for the EGR delete before i can start working on it.

Once i get everything i need to finish the repairs i will drive it up to my dads and work on it, he has a garage, and tools. All of my sockets will fit in one hand, so i go to my dads...that way i have a nice garage with a cement floor, instead of my gravel driveway, lol.
    I will make a follow up post once everything is done.

4. loki

loki Newbie

while you're at it check/change the fuel pressure regulator, air filter, and fuel filter. If you have an ohm meter check your VAFM and TPS. Running rich can either be too much fuel or not enough air.