Runaway 83 Automatic...Help!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by lakes73, May 22, 2011.

1. lakes73

lakes73 Newbie

Help!...Took the truck up to the school parking lot...When i put her in Drive or Reverse,she will take off without touching the gas and go up to 8 mph on her own...When i keep my foot on the brake,the engine just shakes til i let up on the brake...What should i look for to fix?..Any help would be great..Thanks Again,Chris.

2. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    i would say the idle is way too high and needs to be adjusted

3. lakes73

lakes73 Newbie

83 longbed..Auto

The idle is around 900-1000 rpm while in park...But when i put the truck in Drive or Reverse,the idle drops to around 500 rpm and she takes off down the road without me touching the gas pedal..ha-ha!..The reason i set the idle so high is because it would stall as soon as i put her in Drive or Reverse before..I don`t know what to check next..Torque Converter Solenoid?

4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    is it slamming into gear when you put it in drive? also you have your foot on the break and it takes of at 8-10 mph or if your foot is somewhat resting on the brake it stops and it will start moving when you take your foot off it.

this almost sounds normal, is this your first car/truck

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    well if its in gear it guna start moving unless your foot in on the brake.

im also going to agree that ur idle is high. why was it dying before? i have no clue. lol

6. lakes73

lakes73 Newbie

No,The truck goes into drive like normal...But with my foot on the brake at a red light,the engine is shaking like a diesel until i let up on the brake and get moving...This is my first Toyota Pickup with an auto trans...it just doesn`t seem normal for the engine to shake like it does...I have other Toyota cars that have never done this...It runs fine once you get going from a stop.

7. GrantH

GrantH Addict

when you foot is on the brake it goes up to 900 and off it goes down to 500? or its at 9 with the brake off and 5 with it on?

8. lakes73

lakes73 Newbie

When the truck is in Park,the idle is steady at 900...When i put it in Drive or Reverse,with my foot on the brake the the idle drops to 500 and the engine starts to shake until i let off the brake and get going..

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    900 is way high. Shouldnt it be at about 750 At idle all the time

10. lakes73

lakes73 Newbie

I know,but when i had it set at 750,it would stall out as soon as i put it in Drive or Reverse...I bumped it up to see if it would stop shaking when it was in gear with my foot on the brake..But if it was in Park and the idle was set at 900 or 750 it made no diff...it will still drop down to 500 and shake when you are stopped at a light..?????,Chris

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well then u should drop the idle back down and try to figure out why it stalls instead of having it run like crap. All u did was a band-aid fix, the issue is still there u kinda just covered it up

12. lakes73

lakes73 Newbie

You are right...That is why I`m asking for some advice..I`m a noob..ha-ha!..Could the EGR valve be the problem?

13. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dont know. What was it doing before u up'd the idle? And what year/engine do u have? Might help other members giving that info

14. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I'm HIGHLY sure that the truck is carbed.
    I know on my truck, the EFI's.... setting idle higher will not help, setting idle lower will not help either, because the computer doesn't sense the correct amount, and will just make it run like crap.
    Timing anyone?
    How's the fluid?

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    On the RE cant u adjust how far open the TB is open at idle?

On my 3VZE i was able to adjust it. Very slightly but it made a difference of a couple hundred RPMs

16. lakes73

lakes73 Newbie

Hi,the truck has a 22r with the stock carb..I just got the truck..it was running the same..i tuned it up,thinking that would fix it..when warm the idle will be fine at 750rpm while in park..but when i put in drive,with my foot on the brake,the idle will drop to 500rpm and the engine and steering wheel will shake until i let off the brake and start to go..I replaced the plugs,wires,rotor,cap,air,fuel filter,set timing to spec....

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Carb might be outta tune?

18. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    try this, put the ebrake on so the truck wont move in gear. Then put it in drive and let your foot off the brake, does the RPM go back to normal and the shaking go away? if you apply your foot on the break again and the idle drops and it runs like poo your break booster might be leaking causing a vacuume leak.

19. FAC

FAC Newbie

Hey everybody, I have been lurking around on this site for a while but I just registered because I have the exact same problem with my truck it is a 1980 auto with a 20r I also have a slight hesitation that got better when I sea foamed it. If I find what is causing it I will let you know otherwise I hope I can get some help with this problem also.

20. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dillinja has a good point. A vaccum leak could cause the truck to run crappy. Old vaccum lines tend to dry rot n could crack