Ride quality better after BJ Flip?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Blakesommers77, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Is this possible? The front was already on the bumps to begin with...

The whole point was to even out with the back, now the front is lower than the back. Time to drop the back even more

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Wont make a difference really. Because the control arm is still going to be in the same spot. Only thing moving is the spindle

3. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

What I figured, seems a lot better. The spindle gets moved down a little correct? If that's true wouldn't the quality improve since it does with drop spindles?

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Drop spindle can't have any effect on ride quality. A ball joint flip changes the geometry of the suspension and could affect the ride depending on how far it moves the joints. The angle of the control arms doesn't mean anything if you move the pivot point. Moving the ball joint is the same as changing the angle of the control arm, just using another method.

Another tidbit. Unless the ball joint mounts are absolutely parallel to the ground, moving them will move their position inboard (keep in mind that the BJ mounts are likely not parallel to the control arm itself). If they aren't parallel to each other, they will move inboard differently, which will have an effect on camber, castor, Ackerman angle, and toe . It may not be much change, but it is change.

This isn't an argument against doing a BJ flip, it's just for knowledge.

5. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Thanks for the info man! Super helpful. Enough to need a alignment? Might wait till I do different control arms to do another alignment... Thoughts?

6. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    I'm probably in the minority on this, but I recommend doing an alignment any time you do anything to the front end, if nothing else to help with tire wear. It really sucks to look down one day and realize your tires are half worn after only a few thousand miles. :brickknock:

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Most definitely. You'll be ok for a bit, but it does need done for tire wear.