Revive 79

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by standfast, Feb 6, 2018.

1. standfast

standfast Newbie

Hey yall! Newbie here. We've had this 79 in the family since 86 and have put on hundreds of thousands of miles on it. About 4 years ago the timing chain broke and it sat dead in the backyard ever since. My son and I decided to get it back up and running. We found a wrecked 84 Celica with a 22RE in it that was running great with only 114k miles on the car. Pulled the engine and all the wiring out of the car so I could use it to convert the truck over to fuel injection. While the engine was out I put a new timing chain, water pump, oil pump, alternator, starter, clutch and various other small components on it. I swapped the oil pan and pickup from the 20r that came out of the truck onto the car's 22re engine so it would clear the engine x-member. Now the engine is sat back down in the truck with a 5 speed manual w50 gearbox. Last night I started on the fun part, disecting the wiring harness to get all required systems connected. I am going through the entire harness and removing whatever is not needed. After all the running gear is back up and functioning, we'll turn our focus to making it look cool. I am thinking we'll lower it 2-3", deal with the crappy paint, and maybe put some new shoes on it. Glad I found this place to get ideas on how to make it cool!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats so cool to have your kid working on it with you.

Keep up the work and post up more on its progress

3. Hands_On_Henry

Hands_On_Henry Member

Truck:
    1985 22R/4spd
    This is awesome! Great project.
    Welcome to the forum.

4. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    awesome. It sure looks like we are doing the same thing(although mine is a 78), haha.

What are your plans for the fuel rail return into the trucks gas tank?

5. MTN_Tim

MTN_Tim Newbie

This sounds like a great father and son project. Welcome!

6. standfast

standfast Newbie

Dan, lots of fun with wiring ahead for both of us on the 22RE conversions. I found some pretty good diagrams online that are helping me get through the wiring. They are specific to the 84 celica so that is pretty helpful.

Not sure what I am gonna do regarding the fuel system yet. I did pull the tank from the car with the FI pump and everything on it. I haven't scoped it out yet but I am thinking I will either fit that tank in the truck somehow or remove the sending unit, from the car tank and adapt it to the truck tank. Either way I think I will need to run at least one new line to the front. There will need to be a total of 3 lines to the front. The Hi-Pressure feed, the return, and the vent to the charcoal can. I was thinking I would use the old fuel supply line as the return, leave the vent line in place, and install a new steel hard line for the new hi pressure feed.

Last night I laser cut and installed some block off plates for the EGR stuff and started deleting all non-needed vacuum lines. Gonna try to simplify the engine setup as much as possible and make this thing easy to work on.

[​IMG]

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    You can get rid of the charcoal canister if youre desmogging the engine

8. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Mind sharing those? ;D

I am thinking the same thing. I am pulling the tank from the parts truck this weekend.

9. standfast

standfast Newbie

I was thinking about getting rid of it but if I still run the vent like thru it, it might cut down on the gas fumes. Any experience with that?

10. standfast

standfast Newbie

Here is where I found the diagrams. http://home.earthlink.net/~twopapa/

New clutch fork boot off ebay!
    [​IMG]

11. Dan McBoost

Dan McBoost Enthusiast

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Awesome thanks.

Your engine sure is looking clean. Sadly I am not doing much to mine (I will once I rebuild my 22RE #1) but you sure are putting the pressure on me to! haha.

12. standfast

standfast Newbie

Cleaned up vac lines and minimalized them.
    [​IMG]
    Wire route planning and testing. I used the engine fuse/relay block from the celica to house the required fuses and relays. I removed all redundant circuits that were on it for the lights and just kept what was needed to keep it simple and clean as possible. The bracket for it also had mounting provision for the coil/igniter so that works well. I just need to slot one of the holes a bit and it will mount nicely to the old voltage regulator spot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yikes :) still in process.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  13. standfast

standfast Newbie

Pulled the bed to work on the rear of the truck.
    [​IMG]
    79 pickup tank next to 84 celica tank. Pump mount flanges are nearly identical. One hole doesn't line up.
    [​IMG]
    The FI pump from the Celica looks like it will sit perfectly in the truck tank.
    [​IMG]
    Truck carb pump vs Celica FI pump. The truck pump looked a mess when i removed it. The rubber hose was rotted off!
    [​IMG]
    After a few hours of cleaning out the inside of the tank I painted the tank and drilled/tapped the one hole that didn't line up. The tank had a layer of goo with fuel pump parts embedded into it. Its crystal clean now after acetone and the power washer.
    [​IMG]
    Everything back in place. Now I have the stock vent line still in place with the new fuel feed and return sorted. I ran a new line forward for the high pressure feed and used the origin steel feed line as the return with new injection hose throughout.
    [​IMG]
    I reformed the pump lines to get them pointed in the right direction.
    [​IMG]
    We cleaned up some rear end parts and gave some of them some powder coat love. My boy sprayed a few brackets for me and got to learn how the process worked.
    [​IMG]
    Took apart the rear end to replace all the wear components and inspect the gears and pattern. New bearings and seals throughout. A lot of time spent cleaning stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Belltech 2" drop leafs and shocks went on along with the cleaned up and refinished exhaust and driveshaft. Cleaned and repainted the frame. I also repaired and re-loomed the rear wiring harness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I still have to make some new rear shackles since the factory ones will not work with the Belltech leaf bushings since they have a more modern steel inner sleeve design.

Modified passenger side heater hose tube to fit with the truck hose routing. This tube wrapped around the back of the head on the car. I chopped it up and tig welded it to dump here. It will make the hose route make more sense.
    [​IMG]
    Finished the intake and filter setup. Laser cut and formed this bracket to mount the filter to and the AFM all on one piece. There is a short piece of tube welded to the farside for the filter to mount on. The AFM bolts to the 4 holes there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did run into a bit of a hangup though. I got some new brake shoes for the rear of the truck but the the little post pressed into the shoe that the the parking brake linkages slide over is different. I got the raybestos brand shoes PN 505PG that say they fit a 79 but the post is clearly different and won't work. Has anyone run into that? Gonna have to go see what the local part stores can come up with. I know the rear of thos truck is original so somethings not right.

14. Smugmetal

Smugmetal Member

Truck:
    78 Pickup
    Great thread! Sounds like you're flying through this build.

Do you have a laser cutter and paint booth at your home? Jealous of that awesome garage haha

15. standfast

standfast Newbie

No, I wish all that stuff was at home. :) Work stuff.

Smugmetal likes this.
  16. standfast

standfast Newbie

Installed all new arms, joints, steering, drop spindles, rotors and calipers, belltech shocks on the front end. Arms, and brakes are for an 89 so i could use the belltech drop spindles. It widens the front about 3/4" per side when changing to the 84+ supsension like this. I had to do a few things to make this fit. Had to drill a hole in the lower control arms for the 79-83 torsion bar bracket to fit and I bent the sway bar ends to widen them a bit to line up with the slightly wider front end
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sat the truck down to see how it sits with the old wheels and tires on it. It's sitting a bit higher than I want here but i have a lot of room to relax the torsions. It is jacked all the way up right here. I think i still need to add a 1"or2" block in the back. What size wheels and tires should i put on it? I kind of like a meaty sidewall. I was thinking about these wheels https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-vn1055865b
    Maybe put some 4wd fenders on the front if it looks like i will need the clearance. It seems like its going to have clearance issues right now with a 25" tire. Current wheel is a 14x7 with zero offset.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned up and repainted front end parts. Powder coated the front bumper since it was rusty chrome. I finished wiring the circuit opening relay that drives the fuel pump and a few other under dash connections... o2 sensor wire, switched power, fused 12v constant to ecu, grounds etc. Believe it or not it fired right up and seems to be running perfect. Charging system is working good. I started it with a old motorcycle battery pretty easy so the gear reduction starter requires way less cranking amps than the old starter.
    [​IMG]

Started poking around on the interior and poked through . Another thing to fix...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MTN_Tim likes this.
  17. elliott

elliott Member

Truck:
    1981 toyota 3/4 ton pickup
    Nice build. I have a 81 that I have not driven in a few years, bought a bike. I might put it on the road this year. Thanks again.

standfast likes this.
  18. standfast

standfast Newbie

Been still slowly knocking out a few things on this. Put 4wd fenders on and some rear flares I got from a local toy guy. He said they were off a mini 78. They fit the 79 perfect. New rubber on some 15x10's with a light stretch. I want to make a new valance still but its starting to get some character. Might need to slit and flare the fronts a bit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BeardNomad likes this.
  19. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Hi standfast great build, Just noticed your rear shocks have been fitted upside down.

standfast likes this.
  20. elliott

elliott Member

Truck:
    1981 toyota 3/4 ton pickup
    Great find . Thanks again