Rear wheel bearing help

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by blake12345, Nov 23, 2013.

1. blake12345

blake12345 Newbie

Hey don't know if this is the right place to post this but anyway.
    I replaced the left rear wheel bearing and seals on my 12/83 hilux a week ago. Since then I've done about 20km and after jacking up the rear to replace the shackle bushes I've noticed the wheel has movement again.
    Any suggestions on why it's got movement again?
    Cheers
    Blake

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    im curious but by "the wheel has movement" what movement are you seeing? if you grab the wheel and look at your center bub (where the wheel mounts to) do they move individually from eachother or together?

if you jack the rear axle up, does the wheel independently from the rest of the axle? if this is the case, the bearing may be the issue.... the only other thing i can think of is the rear ubolts and surrounding suspension parts are either worn, or loose.

3. blake12345

blake12345 Newbie

Well when the car is jacked up and I grab the wheel and push and pull the wheel feels loose. I've checked all the bolts and they are all tight but I can't see if it's just the drum and wheel that are moving or the entire assembly (if that makes sense)

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    If the lug nuts and back plate bolts are all tight, the only movement you can have is from the wheel bearing. A few thousandths movement is normal in any direction. If the bearing is bad, you will eventually hear it. I wouldn't worry about it until then.

5. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    It's possible that there's a Spunn spot on the shaft surface this occurs when the bearing was bad for extended time and caused "fretting" on the shaft. if this is the case you need a new or remachined shaft or the cone bearing was installed with the wrong set load. If the "wheel play" is straight in and outward it's more likely the pre-load on the bearing, if it's wheel wobble then the shaft is spunn or damaged.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  6. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Did the older Hiluxes use tapered bearings for the rear axle? I didn't think they did.

7. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    Your right,
    I'm thinking front spindle...:duh:
    if the wheel play is straight in and out cone bearing in the pumpkin needs replacing???

8. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    No, the axle floats freely in the spider gears. Even a new rear roller bearing will have some movement in the lateral direction. Not much, but some. If you could move it up and down or front to back, then it may not be normal. But, I've even seen that on a perfectly good bearing. Listen for noise. That will tell you if it's bad, if there isn't any, leave it alone.

9. Mr. Toyota

Mr. Toyota Newbie

Truck:
    78' Hilux
    Sure is, I just finished up helping a friend with roller bearings having excess lateral movement they were toast. Although it was obvious there was much more then afew thousandths movement, I think listening is spot on if you have a stethoscope it can help narrow down where the trouble maker is...if any.
    Working with bearings a lot you get used to checking free play an knowing where things stand. Bearings don't just go "bad" there are multiple failure points making narrowing it down abit tricky from time to time...Hope maybe that this helps!

10. blake12345

blake12345 Newbie

Hey thanks for the replies. It feels like it's more movement than there should be but it doesn't make a constant noise.
    The reason I replaced the wheel bearing was that there was a clunking/knocking noise that is noticeable on deceleration (not sure if it's there when accelerating) but since replacing the wheel bearing it hasn't stopped the noise. It doesn't happen all the time. I'm starting to think it might be a worn yoke maybe? Is this easy to replace?
    Also my hilux is a?build date 12/83 and says yn55 on the compliance plate. Is this the same build as an 84 and up hilux?
    Sorry for all the questions just wanna get this crap sorted

11. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    If you don't have a stethoscope you can also use a long screwdriver as long as you can place it safely. You put the point of it on a metal surface where you would like to listen then put the handle against your ear. An old millwright taught me that.

12. Strider

Strider Member

They can be purchased from Harbor Freight for dirt cheap.