rear turn signals going crazy

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by loyota76, Jun 9, 2015.

1. loyota76

loyota76 Newbie

Truck:
    76 2wd short bed single cab
    Yo everyone I had a question about my turn signals / headlights. The truck is a 76 and has had some upgrades/ modifications done by previous owner. So my problem is my turn signals seem to do the opposite when my headlights are on. When I turn the swith to signal right the rear left blinker will flash along with the brake lights all three in synch. And same with signaling left the right will blink in synch with the brake lights. My question is why would this happen? Is that a grounding problem? The lights were dim before so I took them apart to clean and found the housing was loose so I tightened them and they got brighter. (They are stock and so they apparently ground themselves by the mounting bolts. Idk if it could have anything to do with it but my headlights are on a toggle and are wired to all be on together. Also this problem only occurs with the headlights on. When they are off the signals work fine. Any help is highly appreciated.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Then something is up with that toggle. The rear wiring is stupid simple check your toggle again and make sure you wired up the right stuff because the headlight circuit is wired at some point into the switches on the steering column (horn, turn signals, high beams)

3. loyota76

loyota76 Newbie

Truck:
    Yeah I removed the switch and noticed the highs are wired to it with speaker wire lol. A lot of wiring got redone it looks like but pretty half assed. Anyone know what the proper way to wire the toggle would be? Since I have an extra switch mounted by the dash I'll wire the highs to that. I'd just like to know the proper way to have the headlights wired on toggle so my blinkers don't freak out. (Trying to fix previous owners "upgrades")

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I completely rewired my 72(second gen) because the wiring was complete crap and i did away with the stock switch and relays(parking lights are ran thru the headlight switch too).

Recreating the headlight wiring is pretty simple, from the switch find out which one is the hot lead for the headlights,use that as a trigger to a relay and run the wires to the lights.

5. loyota76

loyota76 Newbie

Truck:
    Ok so I'm not too much of a wiring dude lol but I can do some clean looms and stuff. Any relay size or brand you recommend? And also I'm going to buy the ebay replacement headlights with h4 bulbs so if there's anything else I should wire that would be great info. This is not my daily at the moment so I don't mind forking out decent money on parts as I plan on updating it's old electronics (properly lol) and also since I noticed the tails all have one wire per bulb except the brake lights (which im sure cuz of the dual filament) on the connector it seemed like it had another wire shared in one pin. I'm used to honda wiring so seeing all these different colors as grounds throws me off. (Especially since previous owners did their own ("rewiring updates")

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The tails are turn signals, parking lights/brake lights dual filament, and reverse. All 4 wires are +, they ground thru the housing.

For relays just get a couple of bosch style 40A relays. One for high and one for lows. (Or just one for the lows if thats all youre going to rewire)

7. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    You might consider just redoing all the wiring with a painless harness or similar.. if your having problems and a lot looks butcher it might be worth the money to redo it all.. just an idea :waytogo:

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thats what i had to do

9. loyota76

loyota76 Newbie

Truck:
    Alright I'm gonna buy a relay and try my luck at rewiring the lights. I might buy replacement tails for it too. I saw the ones on ebay have individual ground wires so I might order those just for a better contact. (Mine are kinda beat up and one is damaged but just the plastic covers and bezels)
    Thanks for the advice guys I'll post up if anything comes up or if I find the cause of the short before rewiring.