rear sway bar install 2wd

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Juicyy, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Truck:
    1993 single cab 22re 5sp rwd
    i recently bought a set of sway bars from thesuspensionsource, and so far i'm very happy with the results. i've only installed the rear bar, but it keeps my butt down a lot more than without, allowing me to take those freeway turns at a much higher speed than recommended. installation was straight forward, but took some minor engineering. the brackets that hold the bar to the axle bolt right up, and the whole kit comes with grease to keep the bushings from squeaking. the frame mounts required me to drill into the frame to mount an l-bracket, to which the sway bar arms attached via bolts.
    the end result:

[​IMG]

she keeps her butt on the ground.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  2. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

I like it, Might be a good option for a lot of little truck

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    What is the diameter of that bar?

I'm using an 18mm bar off of a 92ish 4runner with good results but I'm starting to look for larger bars in the 25 mm range.

[​IMG]

4. madstriker

madstriker Member

Truck:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Where did you purchase the sway bar?

5. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    I use car-part.com :waytogo: for all my OEM Toyota parts needs. It's a database of all your local junk yards. I got a 25mm rear sway bar off a 92ish pickup for my 86. I think I paid like $20-30. Same with the front bar.

6. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    Looks great!! :headbang: What type of mounts did you use to mount the end links to the frame?

7. Juicyy

Juicyy Member

Truck:
    1993 single cab 22re 5sp rwd
    @White Trash: it's a 7/8", or 23mm bar. i checked where i got them from and they don't sell them anymore, so i'm glad i bought them both up while i could. when i bought the rear, i also bought a 1", or 25mm to upgrade the front one which is stock 23mm.
    @madstriker: thesuspensionsource.com is where i initially bought my sway bars, lowering leafs, spindles, so take a look. they sell belltech and also manufacture their own.
    @CREETIN247: the kit came with grade 8 bolts, bushings, and l-brackets. if i knew how to weld, or took the time to remove my bed and take it to a welder, i would mount a bracket permantely, but the instructions call to drill a hole through the frame and mount the l-brackets, then the sway bar arms via the bolts.
    up close and personal with the passenger side sway bar arm mount and kyb monomax

[​IMG]

and same side, looking under the truck across the spare tire for the inside shot:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  8. madstriker

madstriker Member

Truck:
    2008 Toyota Tacoma
    Oh I see. They look great.

9. CREETIN247

CREETIN247 Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 Std
    So it must have been my dyslexia kickin in because you had clearly already answered my question in your first comment!! :silly: