rear disk conversion

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by stimanmark, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The GM kits are out there. I'm not a fan of the GM calipers though (I used them on my 4runner).

While they might have more stopping power, they don't really look trick, and without adding weight to the rear wheels, the extra stopping power they can generate is really useless as the drums can lock those wheels up just as well on a daily driver.

I'd prefer a caliper that was a little more custom looking if I were going to go through with that mod.

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    There are quite a few GM kits like said,but the center hole size is machined to the large size needed for Toyota's. I personally wanted a rotor I could just buy without having to have machined!:cool:

3. sojayota

sojayota Enthusiast

Any particular advantages/disadvantages mount the caliper to the front or rear of the rotor?

4. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I know this thread is old, but has anyone come up with a "best" method for a rear disc conversion? I need a functional emergency brake as well. Burnzyas method looked pretty simple but there is the machining of the rotor centers whenever you need new ones and I'm not sure if the E-brake was functional. TRUCK ACTION, does you emergency brake work? Would you be willing to make another set of brackets? I'm building a drift truck and drum brakes are not going to cut it, and I'm not really wanting to swap out the rear axle.

5. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The E-Brake works just fine!
    As for making brackets ,I did mine by hand,very time consuming, doing it with a mill would be way better! Don't have one or access to one!:cool:

6. Pswayze911

Pswayze911 Newbie

How about some measurements so we at least have that and can go and make it our own way.

7. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Here's photo's once again, I used plastic same thickness to make a mock up to see amount of off set needed,easier to work with for testing!!
    You can see the amount of metal that was removed to do the step, you could sandwich two pieces of metal & weld together, would have to go slow as not to wrap!!
    I think I have the patterns, if everyone wants ,e-mail a full name & mailing address!:cool:

Attached Files:

Ryno5150 likes this.