Radiator for a 1974

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Sk1dmark, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Sk1dmark

Sk1dmark Enthusiast

Truck:
    1977 Toyota Pickup, (SOLD) 1974 Hilux
    Hey guys, interesting problem today. I bought a radiator for my 74 which has previously had a 20R swapped in. I bought the only rad I could really find at the time which was an all aluminum one off eBay. It was meant for the 20R, which seemed like an upgrade as the previous owner kept the 18R-C radiator in the truck. Anyway I get the thing and it's too wide to fit correctly, I assume because the frame rails on the 75-78 are wider than the 72-74. My question is, where is there an actual radiator available for a 74? Or if there really aren't any, has anyone else run into this issue? And if so, how in the hell did you fix it?

Thanks in advance again

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    My 72 second gen has a 20R swapped in and the PO installed what looks like a wider radiator, they just drilled holes and put spacers and bolted it to the core support.

Try finding a radiator on summitracing that has the correct dimensions

3. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    The frame on the '72-'74 are narrower, try to find an 18R(-C) radiator, they are a 3 core, seemed to do a good job keeping my 18R-C cool. I'm moving to a dual pass aluminum one so I have one just sitting in the garage but it's spoken for already.

4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    The aluminum radiators tend to be slightly larger then the copper. Most need tweeking to fit correctly.
    If you can find a new copper radiator, that's the way to go. They are more expensive.