Question for A/C experts

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by joeynational, Jul 24, 2012.

1. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    My truck is blowing hot air, its somewhat cool early morning and at night. I had a bad fan clutch so replaced that but its still the same..I have one of those cheap gauges that come with a retro kit from R12 to R134, so I hooked it up with the valve closed of course. My static pressure (truck off) on low side was over 100psi, I forget actual but was pretty high. I can check again if need be. When I turned the truck on and set AC to max it was just about 0

I would like to get a vaccum pump and ac gauge set but before that i'm hoping a simple can will fix it. Can someone tell me what the static pressure should be and where it should be when the truck and AC is on? And if you think its just low? TIA!!:waytogo:

2. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

I recently took mine to a shop and they checked it for free. If you can find one in your area, that would be an easy step to getting it fixed. Mine was blowing hot air also. There was a leak and I did the retrofit R12 to R134. Still to early to tell if the leak is fixed but, I have cold air.

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    Sounds like you have a high side blockage.
    You measure pressure with the truck running and a/c on. With the truck off the pressure will equal out through the whole system.

running normal pressure should be 30 low side 150ish high side. I would be happy with 120-150 on the high side.

So hook up both gauges ( if you have both if you have low just tell me the low ) and start the truck up and turn on the AC and lets see what ya get.

4. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    Thanks for the input..I only have low side gauge and it reads maybe 5psi:shrug:

this is with the truck on and AC at max

5. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    Either you are super low on charge or have a high side blockage ( the compressor has shoved everything into the high side and nothing left on the low )

edit: its also hard to pin point whats going on without being there...

6. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    it is but I appreciate the input...Should I just dump a can into it and see what happens? I guess the only way to find out is get a high side gauge right?

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    yep...putting another can in cant really do anything if you have a restriction or a bad compressor. And it is just a waste if you have a leak. I would take it to a shop with the right equipment and atleast see what they find, the repair from there is easy.