Pulling my tranns out

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by TRUCK ACTION, Feb 3, 2015.

1. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    So after living with the trans bearings being noisy in 5th year for years,I'm finally pulling the trans & getting the bearings & thrust washers changed out!!
    Hated the noise on the long cruises to far away shows, this show seaon should NO NOISE !!

So far I have the truck lifted ,starter,clutch slave,& drive shafts out,tomorrow hope to get all the bolts out & drop this pup!! Than take up to a shop & get rebuilt!!:cool:

2. myles66

myles66 Newbie

Truck:
    1990 toyota hilux 2x4
    Good luck. have they quoted you on a price already? just curious so i can make some estimates (although im hopefully gonna be swapping mine for a 5 speed, i run the lil weak G40 4 speed)

3. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Mine's a W55 manual 5 speed,got it out it out with a lot of effort. Bought a trans jack from Harbor Freight, & its saves some work also had to get my truck up pretty high too do this,& the top two bolts are a bit of a bitch to get to!!

The shop that is going to do the work said $350 labor,plus parts,the bearing kits are around$180-$200, figure around $600!:cool:

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Shallow 17 mm socket with wobble and about 3' of extension will take the top bolts right out. I use an end wrench to bust them loose from the top then the longoshlongo extension from the bottom.

5. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    3' of extension & a wobble socket did the trick,was very hard to break it free from the engine!!:cool:

trying2learn likes this.