Project 1971 HiLux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by toydatto, Mar 7, 2010.

1. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    there is a yellow 4door dually 90s model running around the flea market in tulsa oklahoma i keep trying to catch it parked but the guys always on the move

2. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    87 Dually, 71 Hilux(sold), 73 Corona MarkII Wagon(sold), 72 Datsun 510 wagon
    Ok, I'm checking in. I'll start with pics, cause that's the best part:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know a lot you were not happy that I transferred ownership of my beloved Hilux. Well, it is being well cared for in sunny SoCal and was just featured in a Japanese magazine called Kyusha Roman. I can't wait to get my copy.

Personally, I haven't been doing a lot with cars other than driving my 510 everywhere that I can. My wife and I saw an opportunity in the market and opened an electric bicycle store here in Salt Lake so that is taking up most of my time. I do plan to dial in the MarkII wagon this winter as it is still waiting for some TLC after my failed return road trip to JCCS this past September. It made it to the show but didn't quite make it back under its own power.

[​IMG]

When I get the drive train sorted, the next phase will be to bag it and turn it into a cool e-bike shop vehicle.

Anyway, I'm going to try to keep up with the forum cause I miss Toyota Minis!

3. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    RIGHT ON DUANE! stoked to see it hit the press! congrats on the bike shop! keep the updates if possible! aloha- kees

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Love the wagon, and god damn I ****in love your truck. Between yours being stuck in my head for like 3 years, and seeing cody36s 72 and miagys 71, I really want to get one. My 78 is getting sold so I can make an older gen upgrade.

Good luck on the bike shop. That wagon should bring some hipster flavor to the place. Especially with a few bikes on a roof rack.

5. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    ya bro do it!!! i wish i could take my truck and meet up with all the 1st gen guys. do a sick photo of the timeline 69-72 in a row!

6. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I hadn't thought of a timeline photo of first gens but my cousin said the next hilux meet should have a build date line up for second gens. I think it would be kinda cool. See the minor changes year to year and the changes from stock going truck to truck.

I would love to see yours in person. It's so damn clean looking. Not low enough but ya keep it clean :lol:

7. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    ya that would be super sick! ya is going lower...right now Cody used the same drop set up that I have. I am going lower once I get tires for my 14" Volks. Running 15s with a 165/45. Once I get the new tires I will take new measurements and make it hit the floor! STATIC!

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Cheater drop. Run a bigger tire and lower it then we'll talk :lol:

9. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    No, dont worry I aint no cheater when getting the right stuff for my truck... i am going lower with the suspension (shorter coils up front, removing more from the leaf pack and new shocks QA-1 or Bilstiens all around) for sure and I am going to run a bigger tire with the 14". I got some old school Volk mesh wheels 14x7 and going to run a 185/55. Check out my build thread fr the pics!

10. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Great to see the update Duane, this build deserves to be on page 1 of this section haha. Glad you ended up keeping the MarkII, saw on Ratsun you almost got rid of it! Also a relief to see the Hilux is still doing well with the new owner, and congrats on making it into that magazine, I'll have to check that out somehow! Hope to see you on here around the forums man. I checked out your bike shop on the website or maybe Facebook I believe it was when you first told me about it, those things are sweet, hope business is up for you and your wife!

11. toydatto

toydatto Member

Truck:
    87 Dually, 71 Hilux(sold), 73 Corona MarkII Wagon(sold), 72 Datsun 510 wagon
    Thanks guys! A lot has changed in the year since I let her go. I do miss the truck but she's being well taken care of and actually getting more exposure in SoCal than Utah. And Cody, when I get a copy of the mag, I will at least scan the article.

A year ago I never would have thought I'd be where I am now, running a bike shop. As a family we were looking for better ways to get around town without using our cars as much. We discovered electric bikes but there were no local dealers. That's when my wife came up with the idea to open a store and the ball started rolling. It took 6 months from the idea to storefront! Its great fun watching people try them for the first time and the business is exceeding our expectations. We are making a difference in the community. I ride so much that the only car I drive is the Datsun when I need to.

I'm itching to get time for cars though. Since we have snow, we are kind of a 9-10 month business so I'm hoping to get some quality car time this winter. Ultimately I see the MarkII wagon bagged, distressed door logo, with matching trailer for e-bike delivery.

Here's a shot of the Datsun and the store. You can find my shenanigans at bluemonkeybicycles.com and on Facebook.

[​IMG]

12. 93_Toy_Mini

93_Toy_Mini Addict

Truck:
    93 Reg Cab Pickup
    Great job on the truck man! :waytogo:

13. Aircooled

Aircooled Member

Truck:
    81 Pickup, 83 Pickup
    I've never fell in love and had my heart broken so fast! :cry: Beautiful truck! Beautiful wagon!