Power Wash Engine - What's The Best Practices? 20 R

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Busted Knuckles, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Request for advice:

What's he best way to power wash an engine?

It's a 20 R engine, though I doubt that is significant. This engine had a blown head gasket and had some residual oil and dirt left over. I have a low level power washer... nothing fancy but more powerful than a garden hose.

So what do I need to do to get the engine clean but not cause any damage?

I know to cover the carburetor with a plastic bag to keep water out. And not to spray directly into any gasket areas.

But beyond that, what are the best practices? Any other advice?

TIA

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    If you can run it, go get yourself some dollar store oven cleaner and warm up the engine, then just unleash the can of oven cleaner all over (can turn aluminum a little darker, but not bad) and proceed with hosing it down..

I did this to my old truck, drove it to buy the oven cleaner and immediately started when I got back.. worked with just a garden hose, should work even better with a pressure washer.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Cover the alternator too.

4. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    I to use the Dollar Tree "LA Totally Awesome". Something the west coast boys taught me. Get engine warm and spray sit 5-10mins and hose off. Just stay away from alt and other electronics.

5. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Toyotas were built to run around the globe in all conditions.

My dad frequently power washes his engine bay with no precaution! And he's never had issues. His truck isn't his main mode of transportation though, lol

My mom used to take her 22re down to the self-service wash and powerwash her engine bay and drive it home...again, with no plastic bags or precaution.

If you have hokie wiring, plan on taking off your air cleaner, or this is your daily driver, I would at least bag the carb and take it easy around your distributor/coil.

6. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    I have never seen anything positive come from washing an engine in a vehicle, and I am baffled at how it continues to occur.

The best practice IMO is to clean the engine when it is removed for teardown, and leave it in peace otherwise.

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I'm not surprised. :lol:

I pressure wash my engine, bellhousing etc every oil change. I let it run for about 10 minutes so it's warm NOT hot then spray it all down with purple power and let it soak for a few minutes before rinsing it off bottom to top. Avoid spraying things like the carburetor, distributor cap, valvecover gasket area etc. with full pressure and enjoy an engine that doesn't look like crap. :D

8. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    +1,000,000

9. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

I'll wash out the engine compartment, and since I have out the power washer, invest five minutes more and do the undercarriage.

A mechanic once told me that a clean engine/car is a sign of respect to any mechanic working on it. Just like brushing your teeth and flossing before going to a dentist for a cleaning...

Some 25 years ago, I had a oily, filthy 18 R engine. I never really understood why people wanted to keep an engine clean... it was only going to get dirty again, right? So why bother the effort?

So at the smog check station, something needed to be adjusted.... the distributor as I recall... A spark jumped and arced onto the engine oil and started a flame. I had to take rags and wildly flay at the flames and prayed the whole engine and car didn't burst into a fire. A tech came over and looked at the flames and said, "Never saw that before ..."

Luckily, I was able to keep he flames from growing and put out the fire. I never took oil and grime for granted after that personal experience.

Because nothing helps pass a smog test than a dirty engine compartment, fire, and a panicked lad with $25 and no more whipping a rag at a distributor on fire.

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Reading that made me picture someone smacking away at a fire with a towel lol

11. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

I power washed the 20 R engine. Here's what I did and what happened.
    (Before and after pics attached)

First I got the engine hot. I had to change the oil, so I put in engine cleaner and ran it at idle for 10 - 15 minutes. ( There must have still been a little residual water in the engine. When I drained the oil, the oil still had a brown tinge rather than a dark black. Not as bad as the first drain, but still had that brown, water-in-oil look. Glad I did a second rinse/oil change )

Next I sprayed on a full bottle of LA Awesome Cleaner on the engine, and let it set and cool.

I then plugged the carburetor ports with a rag and covered everything with a strong plastic bag. Did the same to any electrical wires that I thought might be compromises if wet.

Power washed the engine. Power washed the underside. Lots of crud came off. Avoided direct spray onto the gaskets, alternator, etc.

Looked and smelled cleaner. The only thing: there was a chalky residual on the valve cover. No big deal. Just looked odd... probably from applied cleaner.

And the truck started up on one crank.

Attached Files:

12. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I wash my engine & engine bay on a regular basis,use engine cleaner,spray hot,use the hose ( sometimes a power washer) , keep running for a period untill good & dry! Restart & let run, take her out for a fast run!!
    No problems here!!
    This is a weekly driven show truck!!
    A clean engine is much better to work on if you need too! :cool:

13. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles Member

Interesting... I was told never to run cold/ambient temperature water on a running engine. The difference in temperature may cause the engine block, head to crack. Kind of like putting hot water on a wind shield that is covered in frost.

Opinions please ....

Agreed! Less crud on the engine and car makes for less crud on tools, hands, the areas you are working on, and such!