please help truck won't start

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by pabloisdope, Nov 5, 2012.

1. pabloisdope

pabloisdope Newbie

so last month I blew my headgasket :duh: and I've been replacing it slowly and I have everything together now, everything is mechanically perfect . I go to turn it on and it cranks and sounds like its about to turn over but it doesn't. I have tried starting fluid so far I didn't touch the carb I think that is the problem I don't know much about carbs I have a Webber carb and a lce engineering motor . Can anybody help? I am guessing it has to do with all the vacuume hoses I know it has more than it should but that's how I bought it.

2. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    is the timing set properly ????did u connect all the ground wire correctly???:shrug:

3. patrickgraven

patrickgraven Veteran

Truck:
    93 2wd pickup "home depot" / 2004 Toyota Sequoia 4x4
    I would say if it cranks but doesnt turn over it probably timing. Check it with a timing light. it should be in the neighborhood of 5 degrees. That is where I would start. When I rebuilt my motor I put my distrbutor back in wrong and It wouldnt start. Once I put it in the right spot it fired right up.

4. jaybee

jaybee Addict

Truck:
    1987 yota truck
    Yup..try to rotate your distributor..

5. pabloisdope

pabloisdope Newbie

I would adjust the distributor but still no turn over

6. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    start with basics.
    -fuel
    -spark
    -air.
    if all are good, then most likely its something timing related. make sure bowls in carb have fuel and carb is delivering fuel properly. (also check fuel relay -if applicable- not too familiar with carb setup)
    check ignition/spark. make sure wires + coil are hooked up properly and is delivering spark to plugs.
    do not over look anything, as simple and as small as it may seem. u never know.
    check air delivery. make sure all hoses are installed n no leaking lines. make sure no gasket has slipped out of position causing an air leak.

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    spark plug wires in, everything is connected, fuel lines to fuel pump to carb, fuel in fuel tank, etc.

8. sikyota

sikyota Member

Truck:
    90 reg cab
    first off guys i believe he said it wont turn over.. gotta start in the bottom and work your way up.. either your battery is junk.. bad connection at the battery.. or your starter went out.. make sure the starting system is good.. when u get it to crank over at a good speed and still not run then start looking for other things

9. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    ...he just saying.

10. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Agree gotta get the bugger to spin first.

11. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Check top dead center with valve cover off confirm number one cylinders valves are all closed .and check the tdc mark on cam gear 12oclock position distributer position rotor should point to number one cylinder remove dizzy cap check if rotor is on the number one plug .....if u have done this and are sure u got it right move to the next

Weber carb one vacuum line . To distributer remove all other v lines except brake booster
    Fuel supply? unhook from carb turn motor over pump fuel out of line ?
    Spark? remove no 1 plug keep connected ground with screwdriver to valve cover check for spark

u if u let your weber sit at any angle or upside down for a amount of time while performing your head job the float can get stuck or hung up as well also after letting the motor turn over u can put your ear to the carb opening and twist the linkage u should here fuel spray maybe once or twice motor off and quiet you'll here it

U mentioned u sprayed the carb that tells me u are out of time or not getting spark at all

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  12. pabloisdope

pabloisdope Newbie

I checked I am getting spark and my battery is fine the starter is good , I did the timing and it sounds closer to starting but it still doesn't I think it might be the float because the carb was at an angle when I changed the head gasket I'm going to try that