oil pressure

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Badlux, May 6, 2008.

1. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    What would be the normal position on the oil pressure gauge? When I'm at idle, my gauge goes down all the way and when I drive, the gauge goes back up. Truck seems to be ok with no problems when I'm driving. Just concerned why it goes up and down.

2. fourwd1

fourwd1 Member

Truck:
    84 4Runner rock crawler
    At idle it might be 1/3 to 1/2, at driving RPMs maybe 3/4 (of the gauge's travel).

The older/more worn the engine, the lower it'll be and greater the fluctuations.

3. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    Anything I can do to get it back up? When at idle, it goes up half way and then goes down just under quarter. It never reaches 3/4 up. So when I stop at traffic lights or stuck in traffic, its always below quarter way up.

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    . . . ahh, the trusty old mechanical oil pump. Trust your 22r/re questions to the experts who build them everyday. Talk to LCengineering about your upgrade questions, these guys have been building engines for years. I know there are alot of others too, I just wanted to put my 2 1/2 cents in. . . :)

5. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Before I got my Pro Street EFI from LC, I had rebuilt the upper end with their stuff, including the high out put oil pump. Both than & now my engine idles @ around 30psi, & runs @ 75psi. Better oiling = longer engine life!:cool:

6. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    I guess at 200,000 miles, I should look at changing my oil pump. Gonna rebuild the top half so I guess I'll do the timing chain and oil pump at the same time.