oil leak... tempory solutions???

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by hilux90650, Aug 15, 2012.

1. hilux90650

hilux90650 Newbie

Truck:
    84 single cab
    hey there guys i have a 84 hilux with a 22r that is leaking engine oil from a couple of places... i am currently unemployed and within the first month of being employed i plan on swapping out the engine completely so in the mean time i would like to know if i can temporarily fix this leak some how? maybe some silicone or something through the outside? i pretty much just need it to last at most till the end of this year... by the end of this year, starting the new year i should have my engine ready to be swapped in... any help will be greatly appreciated :waytogo:

i know that half assing a job in a car should never be done but i just need it for a couple of months then my piece of crap engine will go out

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    well i supose that might slow it down but keep in mind the surfaces that your applying silicon to need to be pretty clean for it to stick but eventually the oil will eventually loosen the silicon or sealant of your choice

at my work we get diesels all the time were the driver did a on the road patch with intire tubes of rtv or silicon . some were pretty imprresive i must say

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    If the gaskets were big money or hard to do I'd say clean everything with brake cleaner than silicone the shiat out of it. But since you can replace every gasket in the engine for under $70 don't be such a cheapass. The most common leaks are from the valvecover, oil pump o ring and timing cover seal. All VERY easy and CHEAP to buy the parts.

Either do it right or just keep dumping oil in it.

Pimpinvintage likes this.
  4. hilux90650

hilux90650 Newbie

Truck:
    84 single cab
    thanks both of you for your opinion and help with the solutions but last night my truck took a dump so now ima just park it in my drive way for a while until i save up funds to fix it completely..... ima swap out the complete engine and re-wire the whole truck to save my self any future problems, that way im working with something fresh

5. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Sounds like the plan to do. Get in there with some degreaser and a brush after you pull the motor give it a fresh start