not sure whats causing my truck to missfire

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Elhuaraches, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    Today my truck was driving like usual but after i went on a trail it started to miss or idle rough. After i reached my destination on the trail i let it cooled down and turned back on afterwards. It warmmed up like usual and like halfway down the trail it started acting up. It drives okay due to the issue. I want to believe the cause of it is the carburetor because going up an incline it looses power witch is normal but it bogs out a bit tho. When i smogged it they told me the carburetor needed some work as well. In the morning im a check my spark plugs just to see if fuel is being burned right in the cylinder since at the moment i dont have a compression tester. What are your guy's thoughts. An issue ive noticed but more like a concern is that in the mornings after a cold start, under the oil cap it turns white. Some say its condensation and some bad hg. Ive been driving it like that for three months or so. The amount of white cream that it shows is like a dot after i drive it. But if i wipe the inside of the cap and drive till i stop the oil cap looks normal. Also ive checked for bubbles at cold start in the radiator fluid and nobe are present.

2. Ghostwhite

Ghostwhite Enthusiast

Truck:
    86 reg/long 2wd
    Could be many things but if it is having smog problems and is fairly 'stock' then I would suspect it needs a good carb rebuild.

Other things you could check is the fuel filter- I had a little issue with no filter that cause what I believe was some debris to temporarily cause some runability issues on mine that cleared up on its own and hasn't happen since I added a filter.

If you have had the truck for a while then I wouldn't suspect vacuum line routing to be wrong- This is a problem I had though, one of the vacuum lines for the charcoal canister was wrong and it caused the tank to over-pressurize and was filling the carb up faster than the float bowl drains could get rid of the fuel and allowed fuel to start dumping into the intake.

The other common things would be a weak coil, bad plugs or timing slipped.

3. Elhuaraches

Elhuaraches Member

Truck:
    1984 Toyota Hilux 4x4
    Yeah i had intentions of reuilding the carburetor because the truck was on non op for a while. Last night i removed the air filter to spray some brake cleaner since i didnt have carb cleaner and ir brought up the idle. Im guessing its not receiving enough fuel

4. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Was the trail off camber a good bit? Also what was the elevation compared to where you usually drive? We're you high in the mountains or on a local trail in the valley?